• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help MADE IN KOREA...original or not?

K now i would like to root my galaxy 2 so i can add my own language pack. Ironass i see u have yours rooted, could you please tell me how? Thnks.

There are a number of threads on the subject of rooting the SGSII here:-

Galaxy S2 - All Things Root - Android Forums

In particular, slug's thread is very useful for beginners:-

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-...guide-updated-12-00-pm-bst-jul-03-2011-a.html

A step-by-step guide is given here:-

[29.06.2011][CF-Root v4.0] KE2/7/8, KF1/2/3/4 - su+bb+CWM4 - xda-developers

For the slightly more adventurous, there's this thread with more ROM's and kernel's:-

[ROM + Guide]Official i9100 KE7/KE8/KF1/KF3/KF4/KF2/KF3 download and Root Guide. - xda-developers

There is a set of video's on YouTube that takes you through the rooting process. Starting with video 1 here:-

YouTube - ‪How To Root The Samsung Galaxy S II - Part 1‬‏

The key to rooting your phone is to read... and re-read... the instructions until they are clear in your own mind.

Be advised that rooting can void your phones warranty.

Hope this helps. :D

(P.S. You haven't seen lotus49 have you?)

Upvote 0
Thanks, but I can't take credit for it. All I did was put info already available in other threads into an more easily digested format. :)

You're too modest slug!

I'm sure you, and a lot of other forum members, have spent hours, sometimes, trawling through different websites, forums and Googling, just to garner all the information that they need... I know I have in the past.

Therefore it is very helpful when someone, like yourself, takes the time and trouble to put together everything in one place and update it.

It means that other forum members have a point of reference to refer to, not only for themselves but to other members who may have queries... as just happened.

So, credit where credit is due... thanks slug! :D

(P.S. You haven't seen lotus49 have you? :))

Upvote 0
I'm sure you, and a lot of other forum members, have spent hours, sometimes, trawling through different websites, forums and Googling, just to garner all the information that they need...

The whole ethos of Android Forums is to share information and experience, so if anyone comes across something that they feel will benefit others, it makes good sense to keep it all together. Why reinvent the wheel, or make others suffer as we did? :)

Reactions: linuxrich
Upvote 0
Don't be misled into thinking that the phone cannot be copied or even released in such a short space of time... it can!

Wouldn't you now agree lotus49? :D

I'm still not convinced.

I did read/watch all (or most) of your links and what they all seemed to say is that it is possible to produce something that looks roughly like the real thing but none of them claimed that any of these knock-offs would pass a proper inspection.

Did I miss something?

Upvote 0
I'm still not convinced.

I did read/watch all (or most) of your links and what they all seemed to say is that it is possible to produce something that looks roughly like the real thing but none of them claimed that any of these knock-offs would pass a proper inspection.

Did I miss something?

It would seem so... :D

1. Not everyone has your in-depth knowledge of all newly released handsets, particularly if they are on sale prior to release in whatever country the buyer is living in.

2. Once you have been attracted by the slick and glossy advertising on some website and paid your money, only to discover that upon receipt that your phone is counterfeit it is too late to get your money back as I don't believe that any of the companies offering such phones give a money back guarantee. So even if it does not pass an initial inspection... it's too late.

3. Make no mistake, counterfeit phone manufacturing is big business in some parts of the world with millions of phones being manufactured.
Common sense dictates that if there was no money in this counterfeit market then it would not exist.

4. At no point have I said that the phones would have to pass in-depth scrutiny, as by the time you have parted with your cash... it's too late.

5. There is also the part of this market that caters to those who cannot afford a high end smartphone and will knowingly buy a counterfeit phone instead. These are openly on sale in shops and markets in some countries where perhaps the local Trading Standards regulations are not as stringent as they could be... if at all.

6. So rife is this trade that even eBay offers warnings on the subject. See here:-

"Summary It can be very difficult spotting these fake phones on eBay."

eBay.co.uk Guides - FAKE MOBILE PHONES SCAM - BEWARE - VERY IMPORTANT

Some of the fakes can be fairly convincing to the untrained eye. Here are just a couple of examples from many that appear on YouTube:-

YouTube - ‪Fake vs Real iPhone 4‬‏

YouTube - ‪NokiaN8Blog.info - Fake Nokia N8 - Chinese Version - Absolutely Amazing‬‏

To quote your earlier post...

"If it looks OK and works, it's not a fake no matter what it says on the battery or anywhere else on the phone."

I don't think so...do you? :D

Upvote 0
It would seem so... :D

4. At no point have I said that the phones would have to pass in-depth scrutiny, as by the time you have parted with your cash... it's too late.

But this is all I have ever claimed. The whole context of this discussion is that the OP already has his phone and has looked at it carefully. Given that the OP clearly didn't have any problem with the phone other than a label, his phone has passed an in-depth inspection.

To quote your earlier post...

"If it looks OK and works, it's not a fake no matter what it says on the battery or anywhere else on the phone."

I don't think so...do you? :D

We are talking about a phone that the OP already has in his hands so yes I do.

Upvote 0
Can you type the following into your dial pad...

*#1234#

and post exactly what it says on your screen.

Dear i have the same MADE IN Korea eticket i entered the same code to my samsung galaxy s 2, and it says:

PDA: I9100XWKF1

PHONE: I9100XXKE7

CSC: I9100OJVKE4

Build Info: SatJun 4 18:09:49 KST 2011

I hope that my edition of SGS2 is also genuine for your opinion.

Upvote 0
It is easy to spot a fake, even the best fake iPhones, and trust me my country harbors a lot of counterfeit phones, and no one can even match the genuine.

So I hardly doubt that anyone can make a very convincing gake GS2s

My friend has bought the same type of phone and has similar to the OP's yet he bought it at the Samsung store.

For reference mine says

PDA: I9100DXKI2
PHONE: I9100DXKI1
CSC: I9100OLCKH1

Upvote 0
same with mine...it's written "made by samsung" on the backside of my phone..
i wonder if it's original or fake.
some says that the country of origin written in the box, but i can't find it..or maybe missed it (where's side of the box it printed again..??)
it does connect with kies...but the strange thing is that i couldn't upgrade it to ics
i haven't run the benchmark test since i dont know what the best app to show the "inside" of my sgs2..
my *#1234# test show :
PDA I9100XWKI4
PHONE I9100XXKI1
CSC I9100OJCKI1
Wed Sept 14 20:34:11: KST 2011

so..guys...any opinion...???
thanks

Upvote 0
same with mine...it's written "made by samsung" on the backside of my phone..
i wonder if it's original or fake.
some says that the country of origin written in the box, but i can't find it..or maybe missed it (where's side of the box it printed again..??)
it does connect with kies...but the strange thing is that i couldn't upgrade it to ics
i haven't run the benchmark test since i dont know what the best app to show the "inside" of my sgs2..
my *#1234# test show :
PDA I9100XWKI4
PHONE I9100XXKI1
CSC I9100OJCKI1
Wed Sept 14 20:34:11: KST 2011

so..guys...any opinion...???
thanks

It's genuine.

You should be able to update to ICS as your CSC code, OJC (South Africa, I think), has had ICS released for it... see posts #1 and #2, here.

Not sure what you mean by an app to show the, "inside", of it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones