Made mistake in rooting, cannot get past boot screen. PLEASE HELP!

1. ryank1000

ryank1000 Member

Hi,

Im new to this forum and sorry if it is a usual problem. Basically, I made a big mistake of rushing through rooting my new samsung galaxy s2 and applied a kernel for android 4.0.3 although i was on a previous version of stock android (not sure which stock version it was, although it was the latest and up-to-date version as of 23rd feburary 19:00pm GMT). I followed the instructions on this link: androidauthority(dot)commm/galaxy-s2-root-xxlpb-firmware-55849

Now when i turn my phone on i see the samsung boot screen with a yellow warning triangle until it turns itself off seconds later. I have tried holding volume down + home + power and "wipe data /factory reset" but i get:-
    "--wiping data...
    Formatting /data...
    Formatting /cache...
    Formatting /sd-ext...
    Formatting /sdcard/.android_secure...
    Error mounting /sdcard/.android_secure!
    Skipping format...
    Data wipe complete."

and problem still isnt fixed.

HELP IS MUCH NEEDED AND WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Advertisement
  2. Sheshnag

Sheshnag Well-Known Member

Can you still get into download mode?
  3. ryank1000

ryank1000 Member

yes i can
  4. Sheshnag

Try finding the right kernel for your device and install via Odin as you did with the 4.0.3.
  5. ryank1000

ryank1000 Member

How can i find the correct kernel if my phone wont turn on? i dont know what the relevant kernel would be or where to even get them.
  6. Sheshnag

ryank1000 likes this.
  7. Sheshnag

BTW you are better off asking this question in XDA - SGS II support in Android Forum is very limited.
  8. ryank1000

ryank1000 Member

Thankyou, if i install the wrong kernel again will it hard brick my phone?
  9. ryank1000

ryank1000 Member

For anyone else that may know the kernel i need my phone is factory unlocked
  10. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

I would assume that since its an unlocked phone you would've been on 2.3.4. So just use any cfroot which is 2.3.4. Once your phone is up and running you will be able to change the cfroot kernel to one which matches your firmware.
    ryank1000 likes this.
  11. Shotgun84

12. ryank1000

ryank1000 Member

Installing the 2.3.4 cfroot worked. Thanks sooo much. Was really worried!
  13. Shotgun84

No problem. It is best to match the cfroot kernel to your firmware so have a look at what your build number says in settings, about phone and then flash a different cfroot if needed.
  14. Sheshnag

+1 for this.

And glad to be of help.
  15. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Really? :rolleyes:

I suspect the site owner might take a different view. I certainly do.
  16. Sheshnag

Well I did not see you helping??
    I apologize to the site owner. This site is super when I need help for Desire. SGS2 seems not so active. Sorry just a personal view which I hope changes with time. I know my comment does a disservice to great helpers like Shotgun. I was just suggesting what i thought would help. If you want, I will remove the post.
  17. Shotgun84

Slug probably didn't help out because he wasn't logged in at the time. To be honest I've learnt pretty much everything I know from Slug and other members in this forum.