• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Magazine e-reader for existing subscriptions

irishjoeyo

Android Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2010
I can't seem to find information on this anywhere. Is there an app that allows users to view their existing magazine subscriptions on an Android tablet (in this case, the Nook HD+)? Everything I've tried (Google Newstand, Zinio, etc.) seems to only allow me to make new purchases. I'd really like to be able to view my existing subscriptions. I have several in print format, and at least some of them allow me to switch them to a digital subscription.

I can't seem to find information on this anywhere. Is there an app that allows users to view their existing magazine subscriptions on an Android tablet (in this case, the Nook HD+)? Everything I've tried (Google Newstand, Zinio, etc.) seems to only allow me to make new purchases. I'd really like to be able to view my existing subscriptions. I have several in print format, and at least some of them allow me to switch them to a digital subscription.

It's been a while since posting, but I wondered if you'd figured it out. Certainly, magazines do well on the HD+. The publishers of the digital copies will be able to tell you what app you need. I've only ever purchased digital magazines from the nook store or from Amazon so their apps are what I need to use for each.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

It depends on the magazine, as you seem to have found out. If you go to the B&N website, you can get some on their Nook software (or the default reading software on the Nook HD). Also, you can also do it with Google Play Magazines.

In most cases, if the magazine supports it, you sign up for the magazine through B&N or Google Play, and in the subscription notice they email you will be instructions to make the subscription free if you have a print subscription. Typically you will need your subscription number from the mailing label of the magazine. Both Google and B&N offer free trials for new subscribers, so as long as you fill out the necessary form to prove you are a print subscriber, your credit card will not be charged.

I've used both and had issues with the Play Magazine app (though hopefully that has been fixed, it's been several months). Additionally, the default reading app on the Nook HD+ is better for most magazines than either the Nook app or the Play Magazine app, as it tends to add extra content that takes advantage of the capabilities of the tablet (such as linking to movie trailers, music samples, etc. referenced in articles).

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Hi,

One of my friend suggested to use Magzter Android application - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dci.magzter&hl=en, where almost 4000 digital magazines are been given for free at no cost.

I think there is some serious bug in there application, because the same application which is available on iOS asks us to purchase the magazine but in Android it is free.

Before anyone identifies this issue, download the magazines and enjoy reading.

I am now enjoying accessing those magazines and thanks to my friend justin for letting me know about this.

I also want you people to enjoy this application before the bug is identified by it's developers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones