Mages - Multiplayer Android Game Engine (chess game is included)

1. mages

mages New Member

Mages is multiplayer client/server game engine for Android and other mobile devices (currently Android and J2ME devices are supported, development for Windows Mobile in the progress). It allows developers to create internet multiplayer games by implementing only core game logic and GUI by using powerful engine API.

Site: http://mages.googlecode.com

Advertisement
  2. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you! Administrator

Pretty sick, thanks for sharing!
  3. xeorene

xeorene Member

Lol Rob.. pretty sick?

this sounds interesting..
  4. Mr. Moe

Mr. Moe Member

Currently the Sidekick has quite a few apps that allow you to play multiplayer with anyone anywhere. Here's a list of what they have. Hopefully Android get's some cool apps that can allow this also.

Bowling
    Andromeda Wars
    Armored Strike
    Bunny Chow (tic-tac-toe)
    Conquest
    Darts
    MiniGolf
    Navy Commander (Battle Ship)
    Pool
    Reversi
    Spades
    Texas Hold'em
  5. eli

eli Member

This looks very cool. Though the tricky part is figuring out how to actually build a fun multiplayer game that deals gracefully with latency and connectivity issues.

Nokia had a neat multiplayer Pool (billiards) game I saw in a demo once a few years back. But unless you go with something turn-based, it's tough.
  6. koffi

koffi Member

The easiest, and I would say best way for most of these style games is for them to be turn for turn. Like four in a row, or battle ship (ala sidekick)
    But of course make the game suiting for this OS/phones graphics.

Worms would be a nice choice :D
  7. Phaze151

Phaze151 Member

worms would be crazy,
    i remember on the sidekick there was this game called armored strike which is basically worms.. you'd use the tmail address (in our case,the gmail address) to find each other...and that was late 06 so imagine how slick it would be nowadays
  8. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

Most, but not all are made by awesome dev and all around good guy Colin and his team over at Requiem Software Labs...hopefully he sees the market of the G1 and Android and makes his move.

http://www.requiemsoftwarelabs.com/

We are waiting.
  9. Quirk

Quirk Active Member

ah man I can't wait until new games come out with a multiplayer chance. Nifty... CANT WAIT!
  10. warrenbaltz

warrenbaltz New Member

There is a Worms-like game called Goobers Vs Boogers. (I wrote it.) It doesn't yet have networked multiplayer support but it is something I've been thinking about. It is not a simple problem though and introduces a lot of complexity in the game logic.

Cyrket - Goobers Vs Boogers
    Goobers Vs Boogers
  11. Master

Master Member

So this network engine... Will this work similar to a Nintendo DS?
  12. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

I would love to see Worms...Aside from that, I think a version of Rampart (Old Atari Arcade game) would work well. For those who don't know, it's basically a game where you build up your castle and battle another (or several) other players by launching catapults at them (accounting for wind, trajectory, etc). The graphics from back then would work well on today's Android phones and it's a turn based game that would not be very latency dependent...

Note there may already be a game out like this, but since I don't have my Droid yet, and Cryket has been down for a few days I wouldn't know...