magic first time start up question re:gmail syncSupport

Last Updated:

1. sbal

sbal New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all!

I'll be receiving my HTC Magic (Rogers) next week and would like to know if, during the first time start up, I can make the phone sync to my gmail using WiFi to avoid downloading all the emails using up the 500MB of quota for the month. This will be my first experience with Android.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Knutfreddy

Knutfreddy Active Member

As you won't have access to settings during the first boot-up, you can't turn on WiFi, thus you can't sync via WiFi the first time. However, you can choose to skip the Gmail registration/sync and do that later when you are done with the boot-up and have access to the settings.

You can also turn off the automatic sync under ''Data synchronization''.

Hope that helps, and welcome to Android!

3. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

It isn't going to sit there syncing 500 MB of gmail before it continues on with the next step.

4. sbal

sbal New Member This Topic's Starter

Good. I like both answers.

I've been trying to find information about how syncing works with respect to how many emails does it retrieve, or does it just get headers?

Thanks for the help. :)

5. Knutfreddy

Knutfreddy Active Member

You get the headers for all the new emails you've got, when you click on an email it loads the whole thing. :)

6. sanlizafer

sanlizafer Member

Hi. I was just readin the posts and thats interesting... would you tell me please how to SKIP gmail register when you start first time..??
    Thanks...

7. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

You can simply skip gmail at startup (If I remember correctly) although much of the charm comes from using google for example populating your contacts from a pc and watch them instantly sync to the phone.

You get the chance to turn on WiFI and connect (even to encrypted WiFI) before activating any accounts. The startup even suggests doing this to avoid data plan usage for the 1st sync.