Magnets near phone ok? (belt clip snaps, etc.)Support

Last Updated:

1. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This is not specific to the Galaxy:

I wonder if a phone that has a digital compass could be adversely affected by extended periods near a magnet -- such as a magnetic flap of a belt clip? :confused:

I'd very much like to get a belt clip. Many have magnetic snaps, and I would hate to break a brand-new phone by keeping it near a magnet 90% of the time. So, if anyone has any experience (good or bad) or technical insight into how a digital compass works, please chime in!

Advertisement
  2. UnderWhat?

UnderWhat? Well-Known Member

I dont think it will break the phone..

I believe the magnet scare was with older devices that have hard drives, where a magnet CAN in fact wipe all the data, or worse, break the drive. But the G1 has flash based drives. But the magnets will probably disrupt the signal when the phone is in the pouch

3. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

I have the G1.
    I have had mine in a belt holster with magnet closer, since November.
    I have not had any issues and use GPS all the time.
    I also have my work access card in the holster and it doesn't affect it either.

My holster is made by Nite Ize mobile acceries. Picked it up at Menards for like $5.

4. Nidisa

Nidisa Well-Known Member

So a magnet closure on a case will not trigger "modes" like the multimedia dock or the vehicle mount? Was worrying about this when I almost ordered a case with a magnetic closure.

5. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm not sure it won't. The first couple of Android phones had compasses, which is why I asked. But a phone that uses a magnet to detect a multimedia dock might well be fooled, depending on the location of the magnet.

You had better play around with a fridge magnet and your phone, to see where you can/can't place the magnet without triggering a mode. Most holsters will probably have the magnet more or less centred on the front or back face of the phone.

This is all pure speculation, of course.