• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Magnets & Screens

I don't believe they're powerful enough to cause any damage. Certainly not over the normal life of a phone anyway.

A tab like the Nexus 7 was designed to be used with magnetic cases (when you opened a case with a magnetic cover, the screen on the N7 turned on), they wouldn't have designed it that way if it was going to cause problems.

Upvote 0
It was the late 1980s, electronics weren't shielded as they are today. A speaker magnet could cause amusing errors in an old graphing calculator. Only the truly rich kids had one, I think they cost equivalent to an unsubsidized Galaxy S4 then. Like an Apple fan, they endlessly boasted the BASIC language and gaming capability (which amounted to various clones of the later Nokia cellphone game "snake") and made fun of us for our "cheap" old 9v driven TI-30s, well, until someone with a speaker magnet tapped the unit and ZAP!

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Wow....
looks like this thread has taken a blast from the past sort of turn,
but I suppose my question WAS pretty dated. :smokingsomb:
I just wanted to make sure though.
I always heard that magnets could damage screens,
so it made me scratch my head as to why they would put them in cases.
Didn't want to mess up my new S4 (or any of my others) with anything like that.
Thanks.;)

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones