Mail Client or Gmail Client (Eris Droid)General

Last Updated:

1. jamesmce

jamesmce Member This Topic's Starter

Question about Gmail on the Eris Droid.

Has anyone noticed a difference in settings, functionality, or battery life by using the integrated Gmail client as compared to using the Other e-mail which uses an IMAP client??

You set this up at initial startup.

Just wondering??

Advertisement
  2. agent47

agent47 Member

I've been much happier using the built-in Gmail rather than the imap. I found the imap was much slower to alert me to new messages. Gmail app usually alerts me within a minute of receiving a new email.

It may be a coincidence, but since I turned off the email client, my battery life has improved as well. Maybe I had it checking too often.

Personally, I would stick with the built in gmail.

3. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

I've also decided that I want to use the Gmail app as the default email app, what do I need to do to turn off the other one completely?

4. agent47

agent47 Member

Just delete any accounts you have setup in the Mail client.

5. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

yeah, delete your email account on the email app, then forward all your emails to your gmail acct online, then you should get them pretty instantly.

6. Eidolonkami

Eidolonkami New Member

I'm actually trying to troubleshoot for my mom. I have a G1 but she has the Droid Eris. She was trying to send email from the contact information window: It lists name, phone number(s), email address(es), physical address(es) etc. She clicked on "send email," and instead of using her configured & set up gmail account, it tried to use the Mail app. She had no accounts associated with it, though when she first got the phone she did have one set up, then subsequently deleted it.

Is there any way to get "send mail" from the contacts screen to be directed to Gmail instead of Mail?

Thanks!

7. fahertyps

fahertyps Well-Known Member

I use both apps/clients. I have two gmail accounts. I have my personal one set up on the gmail app and the other home (family) account set up on the email imap/pop3 app. I think with v2.0 you can have multiple accounts in the gmail app.

8. Eidolonkami

Eidolonkami New Member

I'm sorry, but that's not at all an answer to my question. To reiterate, I want to be able to send email from the contact list from gmail by default. Does that make sense?

9. Demthios

Demthios Member

I use both as well have two Gmail accounts and then multiple Yahoo accounts that I have synced up. Will be looking forward to 2.0 with the combined inbox!

10. fahertyps

fahertyps Well-Known Member

I was not attempting to answer your question. Not sure I completely understand it. Perhaps someone else can help. Sorry.

11. Vinakti

Vinakti New Member

Makes sense to me, but I don't know the answer. I just got my phone.

12. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

seems as though when she did use the mail app she decided to do that action and set the mail app as default from the contact app. to fix this...

go to menu>settings>apps>manage apps> find your "mail" app in the list, click it, and click clear defaults.

go back to your people app and try to send a email again, it should ask you what to use to complete the task. click make default and click gmail.

keopp likes this.
  13. mr-matt

mr-matt Member

Thanks, Caddyman. Another helpful answer.

14. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Kind of like comparing apples and oranges.

I use both - but with different e-mail accounts.

The one thing which seems missing from the current Gmail app is the ability to "download to the SD card" any random file which is a Gmail attachment. The way it works now is that recognized file types can open/preview an attachment... and if you are lucky, that app can also save the file to the SD card.

( Note also that you can use Gmail with either POP3/IMAP in the HTC Mail application - although you might need to do a "manual" setup - log on to Gmail using a computer (not the phone), and look under Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP )

eu1