• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mail Client or Gmail Client (Eris Droid)

jamesmce

Nov 16, 2009
Question about Gmail on the Eris Droid.

Has anyone noticed a difference in settings, functionality, or battery life by using the integrated Gmail client as compared to using the Other e-mail which uses an IMAP client??

You set this up at initial startup.

Just wondering??

I've been much happier using the built-in Gmail rather than the imap. I found the imap was much slower to alert me to new messages. Gmail app usually alerts me within a minute of receiving a new email.

It may be a coincidence, but since I turned off the email client, my battery life has improved as well. Maybe I had it checking too often.

Personally, I would stick with the built in gmail.

Upvote 0
I'm actually trying to troubleshoot for my mom. I have a G1 but she has the Droid Eris. She was trying to send email from the contact information window: It lists name, phone number(s), email address(es), physical address(es) etc. She clicked on "send email," and instead of using her configured & set up gmail account, it tried to use the Mail app. She had no accounts associated with it, though when she first got the phone she did have one set up, then subsequently deleted it.

Is there any way to get "send mail" from the contacts screen to be directed to Gmail instead of Mail?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I'm actually trying to troubleshoot for my mom. I have a G1 but she has the Droid Eris. She was trying to send email from the contact information window: It lists name, phone number(s), email address(es), physical address(es) etc. She clicked on "send email," and instead of using her configured & set up gmail account, it tried to use the Mail app. She had no accounts associated with it, though when she first got the phone she did have one set up, then subsequently deleted it.

Is there any way to get "send mail" from the contacts screen to be directed to Gmail instead of Mail?

Thanks!

seems as though when she did use the mail app she decided to do that action and set the mail app as default from the contact app. to fix this...

go to menu>settings>apps>manage apps> find your "mail" app in the list, click it, and click clear defaults.

go back to your people app and try to send a email again, it should ask you what to use to complete the task. click make default and click gmail.

Reactions: keopp
Upvote 0
Has anyone noticed a difference in settings, functionality, or battery life by using the integrated Gmail client as compared to using the Other e-mail which uses an IMAP client??

Kind of like comparing apples and oranges.

I use both - but with different e-mail accounts.

The one thing which seems missing from the current Gmail app is the ability to "download to the SD card" any random file which is a Gmail attachment. The way it works now is that recognized file types can open/preview an attachment... and if you are lucky, that app can also save the file to the SD card.

( Note also that you can use Gmail with either POP3/IMAP in the HTC Mail application - although you might need to do a "manual" setup - log on to Gmail using a computer (not the phone), and look under Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP )

eu1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones