mail disappearing from inboxSupport

Last Updated:

1. D1cky

D1cky New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello there. This is my first post so be gentle.
    I've had my phone for a month now (Vodafone in UK) and have pretty well mastered most things except my email.I set up the gmail account as required and access that via an app no problem. The main email account I set up to access my Messenger Live email account. This was a doddle as I just entered my address and password and it set up immediately. I should have known it wouldn't be that simple!
    It downloads and sends my mail just fine but after a few days all mail disappears so that I have no record of it's ever having been there. It's still all there on my Live account when I log in via my computer.
    What am I doing wrong? I've checked every setting I can but no joy and no reference to this problem on any fora.
    Another clue may be that despite deleting emails I've received on my Wildfire they are still on my Live account as though nothing has happend. Sounds as though it's not syncing properly but what settings can I check?
    Apart from this problem, I love it to bits:)

Advertisement
  2. Zaichik

Zaichik Well-Known Member

The solution is either to change the sync setting from the default 3 days to "all mail" or,if that doesn't work, set your account up as IMAP rather than POP3.

D1cky likes this.
  3. gd123

gd123 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem on Desire, but the emails only last minutes before disappearing.

My setting was 3 days too

Don't really understand the differences between POP and IMAP - is it just a matter of changing

4. Zaichik

Zaichik Well-Known Member

Your mail provider should supply you with settings - you may need to change security and port settings.

I had the same problem as you on my Desire and changing to IMAP fixed it.

5. carlos67

carlos67 Member

Hi guys,

I've sorted it!!!!!! Fully tested and works.

I have a complete, tested solution for everyone who has experienced this. I am using pop3 on my unbranded Desire (running 2.2 Froyo) to pull my Virgin Media email down to both the phone and also Outlook on my desktop pc.

I was having exactly the same problems as all of you are with vanishing emails shortly after being downloaded to my Desire. However, I have fixed this problem for Virgin Media / ntlworld / blueyonder customers, here's how......You don't need Imap either.

The fault does not lie with the phone for starters. The fault lies on the server!

What you need to do is this. On both your clients (phone and pc), you need to alter the account username as per the following example..... instead of richardbranson@virginmedia.com you need to change it to recent:richardbranson@virginmedia.com. Notice the addition of "recent:" before the username. Do this in account settings in outlook (or windows mail) and also the phone account settings. Obviously substitute your username for richard branson, that was just an example. Also, yours might be @ntlworld.com or @blueyonder.com etc etc.. Dont forget to do it on both the incoming and outgoing settings page on both clients.

My email is now working perfectly without any of them getting deleted when the phone syncs with the server.

Only thing is this. The first time you pull your messages down from Virgin Media's servers on the phone and PC after doing this, both your email clients will pull down all your messages from the last 30 days. Subsequent syncs will not do this again. It only happens once. So just delete all the "old" messages it pulls down (on both your phone and pc) and your sorted!!! No more vanishing emails. Its worked for me folks. Any queries, give us a shout.

Also, anyone having trouble sending emails from their Desire with a @ntlworld.com email account just do this. On the outgoing server settings page of the account settings (on your phone) change it from smtp.ntlworld.com to smtp.virginmedia.com and turn on ssl on port 465. Works like a charm:D

Happy days my fellow droids;)

6. saber1880

saber1880 New Member

I have a similar problem. I can get my emails and send emails no problem. But if i read an email on my HTC it wont then allow me to download it on to my laptop email, this only happens with e-mails i have read. I am using pop settings my provider doesnt offer imap and my emails are through Tesco. My settings on my phone say to leave messages on the server as does my outlook on my computer. Also I replied to an email on my phone yesterday and now both the original email and my reply have both vanished.
    Anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate it