Mail trash folder. How to delete all trash??Support

1. Kmfiremedic111

Kmfiremedic111 Well-Known Member

I get my comcast email to my phone. I delete emails as usual and all is well. When I went into the trash folder associated with that account I had over 100 emails that I deleted still in there. My question is when are all those deleted and or how can I delete items in my trash folder?? I know I can do one by one, but it seems like if I check more than 10 at a time it doesnt like that and I geta force close message. Seems like they pile up in the trash but when are they deleted??

Advertisement
    :
    amasta likes this.
  2. Kmfiremedic111

I just found another similar thread with answers, but if anyone wants to still give advice on the subject feel free.
  3. HGUser99

HGUser99 Member

I notice users have been complaining about this not working properly for a few months at least. It's beyond high time Google fixed it.

Some users stated they had to delete their accounts and then set them up again with new settings. That's a bad work-around, not a solution, and unacceptable to some users. The solution can only come with a new Email application that can delete Trash messages efficiently, or automatically does so in the background.

I have the same problem. I'm using a Samsung Captivate, running Android 2.1-update1.

The problem is on the Android "Email" application. When I delete messages, they go to the Trash folder. This folder contains hundreds of emails and it is very slow to delete emails from there. It never happens automatically.

It is possible to delete items from this folder, but the process is VERY slow. I have found that when I open the Trash folder and select [menu] [Delete All] this does not work well at all. I do think that it DOES start deleting emails, but it seems to take several seconds to delete EACH email. If you have hundreds, as I did when I originally started cleaning out the folder, it can appear that nothing is happening at all for a long time.

If instead you check the boxes for a few at a time, you can see them disappear one at a time, with a significant delay between each deletion. It's hard to imagine how this could have occurred unless either the programmers inserted an intentional wait or are doing something else that's horribly inefficient.

I'm going to try selecting [Delete All] and leaving my phone alone for a good long time. Maybe it will delete everything (eventually). Whether it does or doesn't, I'll report back.

It turns out that Delete All does work. It's just so slow that most users probably thought it wasn't working. I suggest leaving your phone on the charger while you do it because I suspect that it you don't do so, it will go to sleep and never finish the task.
  4. Kmfiremedic111

I go into my email accounts trash folder...hit menu and there is NO option to delete all. I am using OS 2.2 Someone said you can delete them manually from your computer by plugging your phone in, but I cannot find where on in the phone to do that from my computer.
  5. conniered

conniered New Member

Mine is doing the same thing. I have LG Ally and didn't realize until today that it was keeping every deteled email from my sbc account that I deleted on the android...had over 3,700 in my TRASH folder. When I hit menu, I get no option to select all. When I press and hold down the TRASH folder, I only get the options to OPEN or REFRESH. This is ridiculous ... cannot find any setting that would allow me to have it automatically deleted and NOT sent to trash. :mad:
  6. chilinski

chilinski Member

On the Optimus S, you don't get the option to delete all...it's not there. I noticed that the GMail app doesn't let you delete all either. But at least with GMail, you can go to your Google account and empty the trash there.
  7. Kmfiremedic111

If you have the free time start deleting all those emails. You will free up a TON of memory on your phone for new apps. I had just over 4 hundred and I freed up about 10mb of space.
  8. briguy2

briguy2 New Member

Still can't do it on android tablet 3.2........sad
  9. tmwwjd

tmwwjd Member

I delete my trash folder from the computer, it's faster and easier.
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
  10. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

Another way: I use Dolphin HD set to Desktop mode. I get the same exact look as a PC. I also set up a speed dial for Gmail,made sure it was the sign in page just in case I lost the phone.
  11. sonstaff

sonstaff New Member

I discovered this glitch in the Android OS early...I only had 250 emails in the trash...so I deleted them one by one, and now when I delete the email, I go to trash and delete it there, too. Major pain...Android needs to address this!:mad:

Rocky