• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Main Screen ad banner

HUMOR_ME

Lurker
Sep 5, 2013
hello, first post here with a bit of an annoying problem, I keep getting this banner ad on my home screen. ive tried every possible ad detector anti virus software possible and it still shows up, ive also tried rooting and use adaway and adfree and still no change, any other suggestions?

Attachments

• wwww.png
    wwww.png
    543.4 KB · Views: 64
Hey welcome to the community :beer:
What ad detectors have you tried? I use Lookout Ad Network Detector :thumbup:

thank you!

ive used appbrain, lookout, trustgo, Norton, avg, airpush, addons detector, notifications push ad detector, 1 mobile ad master, bit defender, adaware, mobile security and anti virus. lol theres probably a few more ive used but cant remember at the moment

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi there Humor_Me, welcome to Android Fourms!

I've moved your thread to a more appropriate forum since this issue is not specific to the S4.

I recommend reading two of the threads stickied at the top of this area:

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...s-unwanted-shortcuts-browsers-redirected.html

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...explained-security-tips-avoiding-malware.html

Hope you get this all sussed out! If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to give us a holler. :)

unfortunately those links were of no help :(, thank you for sharing them with me though

Upvote 0
A better approach would be to uninstall 3rd party apps in increments of 5 making note on a piece of paper which 5 you uninstalled. After you've uninstalled 5, see if the advertisement comes back. If so, rinse and repeat. Do this until it's gone. By that time you will have narrowed it down to 5 apps. Should be easy to figure out which app is causing the ad.

Process of elimination is a better solution than factory resetting the phone.. only to reinstall the same apps and be right back where you started.

unfortunately those links were of no help :(, thank you for sharing them with me though

I think that after reading both of those threads you will have gained the knowledge needed to where you will not be installing 3rd party apps that may cause issues like this again. Like they say, knowledge is power. Indeed, those links will help. ;)

Reactions: badblue1 and mikedt
Upvote 0
A better approach would be to uninstall 3rd party apps in increments of 5 making note on a piece of paper which 5 you uninstalled. After you've uninstalled 5, see if the advertisement comes back. If so, rinse and repeat. Do this until it's gone. By that time you will have narrowed it down to 5 apps. Should be easy to figure out which app is causing the ad.

Process of elimination is a better solution than factory resetting the phone.. only to reinstall the same apps and be right back where you started.

I think that after reading both of those threads you will have gained the knowledge needed to where you will not be installing 3rd party apps that may cause issues like this again. Like they say, knowledge is power. Indeed, those links will help. ;)

ill try it, thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones