Maintenance questions

Last Updated:

1. jjon729

jjon729 Member This Topic's Starter

The Evo will be my first smart phone, and I had some maintenance questions. I'm not used to a battery-intensive phone... I've heard you are supposed to drain the battery on day one and then charge fully. Anything else we should be doing to keep our Evos working like new?

Charge every night? Only when the battery gets low? etc.

Are there anti-virus programs for Android phones?

Any problem with keeping it on all the time?

Any resource-heavy widgets to avoid?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. ShadowDrake

ShadowDrake Member

Don't worry about charging it, just charge it whenever. Lithium Ion batteries don't exhibit memory. You may want to fully deplete the battery every once in a while (once a month?) to "recalibrate" the battery gauge but I doubt it will have any problems.

No, probably no antivirus programs. No viruses either. Hell, there haven't even been any viruses for winmo (with the exception of one I can think of, it was a fake game that didn't run, and installed a service that would call long distance numbers in the middle of the night. "antivirus" programs don't detect it, making them useless. Plus, you had to install the fake game yourself). Don't worry about it.

You'll want to keep it on all of the time, it takes a while to start up, it's designed to be on 24/7 and to never crash, even. It may need to be restarted every now and then but you'll know because it'll probably get pretty slow. You only need to restart it if it's having some major issues lol

Not sure on the widgets. My most personal Android experience is running it on my TP2.

jjon729 likes this.
  3. hopalee

hopalee Well-Known Member

If you check out www.appbrain.com they do have anti-virus apps, so I guess it is possibly an issue. I've never had an Android phone before, so I can't answer you for sure. I think we might need to do some research.

4. adseguy

adseguy Well-Known Member

Shadow drake summed it up very well.

You don't need Anti-virus. What a joke on a smart phone (for now). Anti-viruses work by examining code and if it recognizes a pattern that fits an existing virus/trojan/worm then it kills it or stops it. If it's a new virus it won't do anything because it won't recognize it, so it's pretty useless for smart phones for now. Anytime you get an app always check the user ratings. That's the security feature really and it works. If an app sucks no one will vote well on it.

jjon729 and hopalee like this.
  5. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

In my experience with smartphones in general and now with android phones..
    1-I usually have my phone plugged in. I charge it always at night always and in the car I have it also plugged in. I have never drained the battery on purpose.

2-I do not have one installed and only have programs on my phone that I know have been recommended or been test previously by others. But i just might invest in getting one just to be on the safe side.

3-I hardly ever turn my phone off. With Winmo phones it was a constant, shut down and reboot. With Android (and the hero) only once did i have to do that and that was due to a faulty beta program.

4-I could be wrong, but most android widgets are mostly like links on a desktop just point to the actual program and start it. The HTC ones are a different story, they really are mini programs themselves, but I don't think they are resource heavy, but i could be wrong in that assumption.

TS out

6. MyHTCevo

MyHTCevo Well-Known Member

I've found some widgets can be resource heavy. Specifically friend feeder and the weather widget depending on what you have the refresh rate as. You can change the interval at which they update or refresh.

hopalee likes this.
  7. adseguy

adseguy Well-Known Member

I'm new to Android, but have played with the OS for many hours now. Isn't there a feature to see which apps/widgets use the most power. Isn't it in settings or something? I'm going to find that really useful if it's true