• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Maintenance update on the way

Thanks for the heads up Slug

Just downloading the 40MB update now (over Orange's data network ;) which is actually pretty nippy in Leeds)

Update: Took about 4 minutes to download over 3G and 10 to install - stuck on the "3 arrows" screen and the HTC splash screen for a while (which had me worried) but now successfully updated to 1.72.405.2 (apparently ;))

I'm presuming any improvements are "under the hood" so I doubt there'll be anything noticeable.

Further update: This is now being picked up by the Tech News sites:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/37487/htc-desire-hd-z-update

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I have a question about updating. I'm using an HTC Desire Z unlocked on AT&T in the US. The phone is unlocked from Bell in Canada. Because my phone is unlocked and not tied with the original intended carrier, will my phone be able to still be updated if a new firmware is out by using the settings>about phone>system software update - method or will I need to download the update to my flash card and install from the boot menu?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I have a question about updating. I'm using an HTC Desire Z unlocked on AT&T in the US. The phone is unlocked from Bell in Canada. Because my phone is unlocked and not tied with the original intended carrier, will my phone be able to still be updated if a new firmware is out by using the settings>about phone>system software update - method or will I need to download the update to my flash card and install from the boot menu?

Thanks!

The second one. Updates are pushed/pulled through the carrier. Why would AT&T carry a Desire Z update? ;)

If you root your phone and get ROM manager, it should be able to automatically update you, for cyanogenmod at least.

Reactions: jbarrack
Upvote 0
Will I need to root in order to update through SD card even though I am using the actual HTC released Rom?

If it's a generic HTC ROM i.e. not carrier-branded/modified then any update should be available OTA from HTC.

Your current carrier has no bearing on update availability; a handset originally shipped with a carrier-specific firmware will always be identified as such by the device ID, regardless of the current carrier or firmware.

Upvote 0
I sent my first handset back to CPWH for a repair because of an issue with the notifications - I got a replacement handset because there was an additional problem.

Second handset was fine until I installed the software update - I didn't realise until I reinstalled the update on Handset 3 last night that it messes with the notifications - has anyone else had this problem?

Is there any kind of fix or roll back?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones