• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Major Flaw With the Evo - Do This!

If you ever use the gps, try turning your music on. Test that it will always drop the gps signal with music on. Then e-mail and call HTC like crazy about this issue until they either replace our phones or if it's a software issue then release a patch.

EDIT: Since most people started flaming me, I will post more information to validate this error. It seems to be external speaker related, as far as I can tell using headphones will not cause any problems.

Major BUG with GPS and audio playback possibility - xda-developers

My problem with posts like this are the "OMG MAJOR FLAW" thread titles. If you don't want to be flamed, don't douse yourself in jet fuel & dance around a campfire.

This should have been in the troubleshooting section. There are thousands of software interactions that could have caused this problem for you. It could have been a matter of installing a program that caused the problem that you are experiencing. Restore your phone completely, make sure both OTA's are installed & then use the stock music & stock navigation to see if the issue persists.

Personally I do not have the issue on my Evo. I am not rooted currently & have about 120 apps on my phone.

Reactions: ballr4lyf
Upvote 0
How about instead of people wasting time flaming me for no reason you go and verify whether you have this problem or not? If you follow the exact steps with external speaker and driving and have no problems then feel free to flame away. Otherwise, stop saying it's probably my fault with an app, that is unhelpful and does nothing to solve anything.

Upvote 0
And I'm supposed to do this every couple minutes? Why are you flaming me for HTC releasing a flawed phone?

You know the issue now and how to avoid it.

So you are going to blame HTC if you get into an accident and hurt someone just because you had to adjust your phone?

Calling your statement bullshit is not flaming...if I called you an idiot, then that would be flaming.

Upvote 0
Yeah, this is a problem, and not only is it annoying, it is a bug that should have been caught by plenty of I/O participants like the SD card issue was, and fixed with a patch. Seems like the only BETA testing HTC, or any of its beta team members actually do are showing the phone off, not actually using it. How do things like:

-screen separation
-light leakage
-dust in the screen because of headphones jack
-screen grounding issues
-fluctuating battery life
-bugs in friendstream/facebook that kill battery
-SD card problems
-wifi suckage
-while in a call with a bluetooth headset, turning on wifi and connecting to something is a fail.

NOT get found out during the testing phase of a flagship handset? HOW?

Upvote 0
You know the issue now and how to avoid it.

So you are going to blame HTC if you get into an accident and hurt someone just because you had to adjust your phone?

Calling your statement bullshit is not flaming...if I called you an idiot, then that would be flaming.

Yes, now I know and won't be playing music on the phone. But I only found out about this yesterday, so it's been a problem for over a month.

Upvote 0
Yeah, this is a problem, and not only is it annoying, it is a bug that should have been caught by plenty of I/O participants like the SD card issue was, and fixed with a patch. Seems like the only BETA testing HTC, or any of its beta team members actually do are showing the phone off, not actually using it. How do things like:

-screen separation
-light leakage
-dust in the screen because of headphones jack
-screen grounding issues
-fluctuating battery life
-bugs in friendstream/facebook that kill battery
-SD card problems
-wifi suckage
-while in a call with a bluetooth headset, turning on wifi and connecting to something is a fail.

NOT get found out during the testing phase of a flagship handset? HOW?

How did gripping a phone with an external antennae causing it to loose its signal not get caught??

It did not happen to the test units.

They test the basics and ship them out the unfortunate fact of mass production of all devices..

Upvote 0
Again, I think its your language that is setting people off. "Major flaw?" You may consider it a major flaw, I do not. I would never be listening to music through the external speaker while driving ... that speaker is not loud enough for me to actually enjoy the music! So I would never run into your "major flaw." To me, a "major flaw" is one that will affect the "majority" of owners.

Upvote 0
laredo7mm said:
Bullshit...pull over and fix it. Don't do it while driving.

And I'm supposed to do this every couple minutes? Why are you flaming me for HTC releasing a flawed phone?

In a word, yeah. Even TomTom has removed the ability to enter a destination while driving on it's newer models because the distraction is a safety hazard.

Upvote 0
In a word, yeah. Even TomTom has removed the ability to enter a destination while driving on it's newer models because the distraction is a safety hazard.

I drive a stick shift and bypassed the car's navi where I can enter/edit info as I please. I never saw that as a safety hazard. I don't see why it would even be a problem for those driving automatics.

Upvote 0
How did gripping a phone with an external antennae causing it to loose its signal not get caught??

It did not happen to the test units.

They test the basics and ship them out the unfortunate fact of mass production of all devices..

Apple just doesn't care. These are way too many issues to not be present on ANY of the test units. most of them are software issues, present even on test units.

Upvote 0
Ok I did play music with HTC music player at the same time as using Google Nav and it does stop the Google Nav from realtime following. Once I stop at a stop sign for long enough it catches up and tells me to turn or whatever the next direction is. Next I am going to try it with Sprint Nav and HTC player and then google nav and pandora or last fm etc. I think it is a software issue ... Possibly with google nav but we shall see. OP have you tested this with Sprint Nav? With any other music source?

Upvote 0
Quit thinking small people. The real issue is there was another MAJOR flaw exposed thanks to this thread. What do we do about the water issue????

Well so far I have found out:
1) Immersing the phone in any liquid whatsoever, including a woman's Vodka Tonic, kills the phone
2) Fire is another of the EVO's weaknesses... For some reason the plastic melts and exposes the innards and then the battery explodes... Still testing though
3). Wind seems to have no effect on the phone but I have not tried a Hurricane tunnel.
4) Earth is tricky. Because when it is mud you have to look back to number 1 but it also depends on the viscosity of said Mud. Sand just gets in everywhere and eventually will screw things up

I will test further using Jello

Upvote 0
Again, I think its your language that is setting people off. "Major flaw?" You may consider it a major flaw, I do not. I would never be listening to music through the external speaker while driving ... that speaker is not loud enough for me to actually enjoy the music! So I would never run into your "major flaw." To me, a "major flaw" is one that will affect the "majority" of owners.

+1

What I do is use a cable to connect the headphone jack on the Evo to the auxiliary input on the truck radio.

This "MAJOR FLAW" may only effect .001% of users.

To the OP: I know the Evo not only has Google Navigation, but Sprint Navigation. Have you had the same problem using the Sprint Navigation?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones