Major HomeScreen Lag

Last Updated:

1. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm getting major home screen lag whenever I quit an app or phone call. It takes 5-10 seconds to get back to the screen and another 5-10 seconds for the screen to respond. Anyone know why this is?

I'm running BB.4 w/ Blue Energy Theme and w/e kernel it came with.

Advertisement
  2. wadsface

wadsface Well-Known Member

What launcher are you using and is it redrawing everything on the launcher? i.e. all the shortcuts/widgets/laucher bar will all slowly pop back into place. Or does it just sit there fully loaded for 5-10 seconds.

3. BlueIce5249

Normal launcher (w/e comes with BB.4). The screen will just show the background and launcher for the 1st 5-10 and then will show the entire screen for the last 5-10...but it just won't respond.

4. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member

i'm also having a problem with the home screen rendering. Also running bb v0.4. you hit home and it will go to your homescreen and show your background, but sometimes it takes up to 5 seconds for the icons and widgets to pop back up, and when they do it's all at once. any ideas?

5. hencethealec

hencethealec New Member

I am also having this problem, but I am running Kangerade Froyo w/ DX theme. Anybody got any ideas? It really is annoying.

6. BlueIce5249

Weird, at least I'm not alone. I tried removing all my widgets and crap but had the same problem.

No ideas?

7. PhilosoRaptor

PhilosoRaptor Well-Known Member

To reduce/eliminate all home screen lag, for me, it was as easy as uninstalling all other launcher/home apps on my phone. Apparently, Android keeps all of these home/launcher apps in memory regardless if you use them as default or not. So I used Titanium (or you can use the native app manager) to uninstall all other launcher apps. So make sure there's no other launchers installed on your phone (i.e. LauncherPro, ADW, Helix, Launcher 2.x/stock). For me, this totally eliminated launcher lag and icon redraw.

knuckledragger likes this.
  8. BlueIce5249

I don't have any launchers installed. I had a launcher back in Feb. I think but uninstalled it after like a day.

9. watersrules

watersrules Well-Known Member

I am having a similar issue, and it is starting to piss me off..

10. PhilosoRaptor

PhilosoRaptor Well-Known Member

If you're sure you took all the other launcher apps off, then reboot into your recovery (ClockworkMod or SPRecovery) and wipe your cache partition. This has always seems to speed up performance of my Droid too, at least for a few days or so.

11. nathan312

nathan312 Well-Known Member

Yeah, wipe D&C and then I would download Launcher pro...even though it seemed you don't like diff launchers...it makes mine CRAZY faster and smoother!

12. BlueIce5249

Tried wiping the cache and using launcherpro. Neither has really done much.

13. VictoryCube

VictoryCube New Member

I had the exact same problems as all of you. Here's how I solved them. I got this from another forum. I stopped using the default launcher and downloaded Launderpro and used the following settings:

-----

Launcherpro Settings
    In General setting, do the following:
    -Only check Keep in Memory, other 2 should be unchecked (unless you use scrollable widgets, I don’t)

In Advanced settings, go to Memory Usage Settings and do the following:
    -In memory usage presets, set it to medium or high. The lower you can run it at while being fast and stable the better
    -Check Use Home Screen Caches
    -Home Screen Cache Type should be set to compressed
    -Check Build Caches as Needed
    -Check Prevent Force-closes
    Everything else should be unchecked
    Back into the Advanced Settings menu, set opening speeds for app drawer and screen previews somewhere in the middle, not too high. Mine are
    Drawer: 4
    Previews: 5

These are the settings I use and have nearly zero redraw on my home screens.

I’ve also read that turning off all animations in Spare Parts will improve performance but I have not tried this yet.

Hope this helps some folks!

14. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

are you all running Beautiful Widgets ?

this past weekend they had many updates and problems .... uninstall and reinstall beautiful widgets and it may fix everything. (that suggestion was with an update I got)

15. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

A few of the updates gave me problems but the latest seems to be running fine. The developers are very responsive in fixing any new bugs and nver seen a problem last more than a few hours without a new release. I have no lag issues relating to BW.

16. BlueIce5249

I do! Now that I think about it, this could be it. Launcherpro didn't really do anything even with the settings listed up there^.

BUT, I didn't update anything so it's probably not the cause.:confused:

17. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

I'm using stock BB0.4 and have screen lag too. I consider it a test of my patience :p Maybe Pete will find a fix for 0.5

18. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

I loaded up lithium last night and I must say ... WOW !!! am I impressed its very smooth with the stock kernel.

I have a tendency to just load a fresh rom instead of trying to figure out what went wrong .... LOL

19. BlueIce5249

I got rid of BB.4 and installed FRG22 and got rid of beautiful widgets and it's still lagging. It's gotta be a Froyo problem.

20. Jcarmicha

Jcarmicha Well-Known Member

I used to experience a LARGE amount of lag and after sending my phone in for a fix to Motorola they repaired it and I am LAG Free.

I'm not saying to send it in - But maybe a factory reset would do it for you?

21. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

My advice is install launcher pro and make sure to check the keep in memory option.

22. BlueIce5249

Yeah I tried this and the factory reset, did nothing. I'm thinking it may just be an app I have installed or Froyo. I may try installing CM or something here soon so maybe that will fix it.

23. kenbdSi

kenbdSi Member

Well I was having the same identical issues with bb v.4 rom. I tried different kernels and did a factory reset as well. I took the advice and installed launcher pro and changer the setting. I would have to say that 99% of all my lag issues have been resolved. It even feels much smoother when swiping from screen to screen. So far no issues. I was almost about to try another rom but I really like this bugless evolution theme I'm running right now.

24. kenbdSi

kenbdSi Member

Well it did it again today. :( I might try a new rom and see

25. BlueIce5249

I'm thinking it's just Froyo. I've tried everything even uninstalling BBv.4 and going to FRG22.