Major issues for me...help!General

Last Updated:

1. rzero

rzero New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, just got Verizon Eris. I like the touch screen and it's overall performance but several things are becoming major headache for me... I did search but not much luck.. but my apology in advance if these Q's annoys you...

1. Can't open any of MS Office 2007 files like docx,xlsx, pptx. Do I have to buy Officesuit or documents to go, or quickoffice programs to open these? Any other free softwares that anyone know about? These are really show stoppers to me.

2. Is there anyway to copy entire email (Text part) and save it as a file or txt memo? Or can you highlight a paragraph in email, and save it as a text of copy to memo file? No luck so far, I can't even select desired part of email text...

3. Can you easily capture a screenshot and save it as a jpg file?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

I think you would need a docs to go type app to open these, not exactly sure though. Quick office is pre-installed though.

what email program are you using? mail or gmail? idk if it matters but on the mail program you can...

first find a good notepad type app on the market. ak notepad is pretty nifty

then (this works for mail app) open email

long press on email text and get a pop up "copy text" tap that.

then with your trackball get your cursor where you want to start and click trackball. use trackball to select text and when done click again.

then you have that on your clipboard.

open notepad app, long press in input field, paste.

unfortunately no, not that i have seen, it is actually a quite long process.

3. bjf88

bjf88 Well-Known Member

You beat me to it, Caddyman! Anyways, this is my reply:
    1. Can't help you there, I don't use my phone for docs. I'm guessing you have tried Quickoffice that comes with the phone? Maybe try other office apps from the market?

2. Press and hold on the email. It will give you the option to Copy Text. Select that and the press and drag over the text you want to copy. Once you release, it will save it to your "clipboard". You can then press and hold where you want to paste it and it should give you the option to paste. (or use the trackball like he suggested)

3. No, but there are instructions in a thread called something like post your android desktop or something to the effect. Search the forums for "screenshot".

4. bjf88

bjf88 Well-Known Member

Click here for instructions on how to get screenshots. I haven't tried it with my phone, but there seem to be some Eris owners in that thread, so good luck!

5. andrew8806

andrew8806 Well-Known Member

Try instead of saving the documents as .xls... instead of .xlsx. I don't think it recognizes the new 2010 format not sure on it.. but your always safe with 1997-2000 or 2003 .xls. Lemme know if it works!

6. rzero

Thanks all for your help!! My life is already better!!

I got "Sheet to go" open a simple xlsx file so that is great.
    But docx cannot be opened by any of office program I have.
    doc files can be opened but my company uses docx so will be searching for some program.
    PDF is no problem!!

Yes I can select txt now in default mail app and in Dolphin browser and paste it in AK notepad!!
    But I guess the same is not true if you use gmail app unless you access mail in Dolphin.
    I'm learning, lol.

I understood about screenshot.
    Thought it'll be as simple as iphone or ipod touch given new OS.
    Thanks for the link to instruction.

Hope you all have good day!
    Thanks again!!!

7. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

8. rzero