Major network problems and global warranty

Last Updated:

1. Norwegianpiglet

Norwegianpiglet Active Member This Topic's Starter

I bought my SIM free Desire last week, whilst travellig in Norway. Starting it up over here with my T Mobile SIM was no problem, but I have since noticed major dropouts of the network access (no signal), which I never had on my G2/Hero. It's the same SIM card, the same location, same contract, nothing has changed apart from the phone. It will do this every 5 minutes or so for a few seconds, but of course any call is cut off, and any message being composed will be lost.

So far I have checked I have the latest software, and I have rebooted/hard reset the device. I haven't reinstalled any apps yet, apart from My Backup Pro, and reloaded all my SMS's. I have taken it to T Mobile asking if a new SIM was required, but they said no. Carphone Warehouse suggested flashing it, which I'd be reluctant to do, as the scandinavian software version has the dictionaries I need to use both languages easily.

I have emailed HTC with no reply as yet, and am waiting for the shop in Norway to get back to me if they are able to let me exchange by post.

Has anyone had to deal with HTC Global Warranty, and if so, does it sound like I will be covered to have HTC UK sort it out?

It is a superb phone otherwise, am thrilled to bits with it, but it's not really capable of keeping calls at the moment!

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Advertisement
  2. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Are you set to gsm/3G auto?

Mine has twice changed itself to 3G only, and killed the signal.

3. Norwegianpiglet

Its on 3G/auto. Tried 3G only, but that just killed it. It's an intermittent thing.

If it happens when I am half way through an SMS, it discards the message and reloads the inbox. Why would that be? It's not like the SMS app should need network connection to function/make a draft?

4. Norwegianpiglet

HTC are collecting the phone today, so at least the fact that it was bought abroad isn't a warranty problem. Now just hoping they'll sort the problem out.

In the meantime, back to sucky WinMo6 TyTN II, as my Hero has already found a new home :( I feel like I have lost an arm... ;)

5. Norwegianpiglet

Have to give a big thumbs up to HTC for their Global Customer Services. Phone was picked up by UPS after speaking to HTC the day before, and delivered back to me by same courier a week later. Main board has been replaced, and it was all fuss free.

The connection issues remained, sadly, but at least I think I can rule out a hardware/software problem. I have desabled 3G, and just running WiFi and HSDPA now, which seems to have sorted it out with only the very occasional signal drop out. and as soon as my contract is up, I am off to Voda! Love the phone though!

6. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

If you've disabled 3G, then you cant have/use HSDPA. HSDPA is an extension of 3G

7. Norwegianpiglet

OK - thanks - must have got that one confused. I havechanged the setting to WCDMA only, not GSM/WCDMA in Preferred Network Mode. What does that mean? Not that it matters so much, as it seems to have sorted things out. I have also noticed that since changing to this setting, the battery consumption has been miles better, probably because the phone isn't fannying about searching and changing from G to H all the time. It now only displays H.

8. rasobey

rasobey Well-Known Member

WCDMA only will be 3G or HSDPA only. You want GSM only to force 2G.