** MAJOR PROBLEMS with mp3 tags - Stock & Mixzing **

Last Updated:

1. GNatural

GNatural New Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, peoples... any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

There have been only TWO -- count 'em, two -- serious problems I've had with my HTC Evo 4G since I got it June 4th when it was released.

The first was with battery power, but I pretty much made peace with that early on. I bought another battery, and I'm good.

The second is these daggone mp3 tags... I don't know what the problem is, but I've not been able to get ANY Android music player, either before Froyo or after the update, to recognize all of the mp3 metadata on the songs that I have on my micro-SD card after I sync it with Windows Media Player (don't remember which version, but I'm running 64-bit Windows 7).

In general I didn't feel like I needed any additional music players because the stock player is so good, so generally intuitive... and even in areas where the GUI wasn't that intuitive, since I've been using it for five months, I've gotten used to it.

But the specific problem that I have with the stock player is that my phone will not recognize all of the Artists on the card. It has all of the songs, but about 400 or so (I've got about 8GB of music on a 16GB card) show up as Unknown Artist or Unknown Album.

This morning, I tried experimenting with Cubed (it's really called <superscript>3</superscript>, and also Mixzing. I paid for the full version of MixZing because of some cool other features, most notably the equalizer mixes that can be applied song-by-song (very cool).

I also noticed that it has an onboard mp3 tag editor, which appeared to immediately pull the tag info from the filename. But when I say okay after I have the info set up the way I like it, it doesn't change in the display. The song I just edited still shows up as being recorded by Unknown Artist.

And I'm not entirely sure the tags are even the problem in the first place, since the songs all show up correctly when I play them in Windows (not just when I play them from my computer HD, but when I mount the micro-SD card as a USB drive and play the music from there, I can see that it's all in the right folders and shows the right artist, track, and album information (as well as album art).

SO WHY WON'T IT CHANGE WHAT THE APP DISPLAYS?

So, so, SO FRUSTRATING.

I am a musician. I listen to music all the time, and it's frustrating me that it doesn't show all of the artists, because that's how I like to browse my music. It takes way too long to browse by song title, and even when I do, the song titles are just the filenames, so that I'll have a bunch of song titles like "Look After You Leap" and "Love Is A Drug" and "Lug Nets Monsters - Grab It Now - Freight Train" mixed all together.

(by the way I made all of those titles up, those are not actual artists or songs)

For an OCD person like myself, it is TORTURE that this will not cooperate.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. GNatural

GNatural New Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry, I didn't mean for this to be in this section. My apologies... I'm not sure how to move this thread to the right place.

BTW, I spent awhile looking at various threads with similar issues, and I didn't find anything that definitively answered my questions or describes my problems.

3. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

MODS please move

4. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

I haven't even begun to play with the tags...so far about 90% of my music is fine. Someday I will tag the other 10% it just hasn't been a priority. I typically am not looking at my phone while listening...just listening :(

5. dvrdwn

dvrdwn Well-Known Member

yes very frustrating :mad: