Major signal drop when picking up phoneSupport

Last Updated:

1. c_aus

c_aus Disabled This Topic's Starter

Has anybody else noticed the drop in signal when you pick up your phone? I can have it sitting on my desk with 3-4 bars and the HSPA indicator on, then pick it up and watch it drop down to 0-1 bars and no data indicator. It then takes about four minutes to get back up to the level it was at before. Kind of reminds me of the problems the iPhone 4 has. Will a case help? Am I the only one to experience this problem and I need to make an exchange?

Thanks!

Edit: Apparently I'm not alone...doing a google search yielded a lot of threads about this on T-Mobile's site, XDA, elsewhere.

Advertisement
  2. dc9driver

dc9driver Member

I noticed this too when I first got the phone. Now that I have a case, all seems well.

3. c_aus

I called tech support this morning to ask about it. She updated my network location and had me pull the battery. I'm at least holding on to an Edge signal when I hold the phone, still a far cry from the HSPA though. I guess I'll have to go stand by the windows more while at work :)

4. justme8800

justme8800 Well-Known Member

It don't know about HSPA, but I have noticed that my wifi signal strength will drop if I hold the phone around where the speakerphone and camera are. Not more than I would expect from smothering any other antennae, though. If I spread my fingers a little the issue disappears.

5. c_aus

I just discovered that holding it toward the top while on hspa really helps keep the signal from dropping. Tho it is a bit of an awkward way to hold the phone.