• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[MAJOR SOLUTION] Fix your slow 3g speeds:EVO4g

Dude. I have tried so many fixes for this. I've been getting 10-15kB/s down and maybe 30kB/s up (equiv of roughly 100kiloBITS/s down). That's really slow. I could barely load a web page, and even tapatalk was unusable.

I can't believe this worked (running on CM7). I'll get to fully test out tomorrow, but super grateful for this thread. Already, I see a huge speed improvement, and am off 1x and on EVDO RevA.

Speedtests (in bits, not Bytes):

Before:
94 kbps d/l, 140 up, 855 ms Ping
72 kbps d/l, 140 up, 779 ms Ping

Immediately After
348 kbps d/l, 413 up, 163 ms Ping
495 kbps d/l, 330 up, 169 ms Ping
1293 kbps d/l, 563 up, 162 ms Ping

When I flashed back to a Sense ROM, and updated PRL, I also got 01115, fwiw. Thanks OP!

Upvote 0
This worked. It should not have worked...but it worked. 30-40 kpbs max down and ping around 900 brought to min of 150s up to 800 kpbs and sub 300 ping. I don't get it! Going to try and go back to AOSP and see if things stay this way. Definite improvement. Do this. Thank you!

EDIT: Working great with cm7. I had not seen 3g icon once with cm7 previously. I thought perhaps root/rom had busted something. Can't say for sure now and not going back to try again. I'm pumped. EVO with cm7 blows away my Hero with cm6. Anyway, give this a shot. I was skeptical and passed it by for hours and then finally tried it. I'm pissed off that it works. WTF Sprint?

Upvote 0
I updated my girlfriends PRL last night and got the 01115. After doing a little Google surfing it appears the 01115 is the new norm. It looks like that anyone who is on a corporate account, or discount is getting the 01115 PRL.

I updated my PRL this morning and of coarse got the 01115 update. I went to change my HHTP Proxy settings and found they were still at 0's, even after a profile update and reboot!!??

ETA: 3g speeds still sucks b****!

Upvote 0
multiple tries and my prl is still 60678

i have found the 01115 prl and I am going to flash it manually tomorrow and see whats up.

I am also going to add a how to for rooted users that wish to roll back/play with their prl as some are noticing a drop in speeds after the new prl

I will also add the new speed test app is highly inaccurate compared to older versions

I am getting results all over the place. I will update if I find something more consistent

Upvote 0
Hello,

I have these issues described but wanted to make sure that beforehand that "restoring" the settings in the diagnostic mode and re-activating on the network will not mess up my connection to sprint from boost.

I could obviously change the "username" and home agents back to preferred boost settings, but I'm worried that "restoring" will delete the "HA SHARED SECRET" and "AAA SHARED SECRET" information, which is starred out. Unfortunately the person that flashed my phone did not provide me with this information. My EVDO is authenticated.

If I restore I'm scared this info will be lost forever, because I don't have the two secret codes, will these refresh automatically even if flashed???

I have updated my PRL manually to the most current one, and I'm currently getting 150 kbs download, but know that the speeds should be much faster because I live so close to the tower.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I am certain it will replace that info. I will try and find some boost info for ya
Hello,

I have these issues described but wanted to make sure that beforehand that "restoring" the settings in the diagnostic mode and re-activating on the network will not mess up my connection to sprint from boost.

I could obviously change the "username" and home agents back to preferred boost settings, but I'm worried that "restoring" will delete the "HA SHARED SECRET" and "AAA SHARED SECRET" information, which is starred out. Unfortunately the person that flashed my phone did not provide me with this information. My EVDO is authenticated.

If I restore I'm scared this info will be lost forever, because I don't have the two secret codes, will these refresh automatically even if flashed???

I have updated my PRL manually to the most current one, and I'm currently getting 150 kbs download, but know that the speeds should be much faster because I live so close to the tower.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I am certain it will replace that info. I will try and find some boost info for ya

Thanks Mr. Ed

I could store all the info but the starred out shared keys. I read I can use QXML or some program with a similar name to extract the info. Someone else said I can simply hold down on the starred out digits and click "edit" and it will then display the secret code, which then has to be copy and pasted because it might not be alphanumeric.

Any help would be appreciated because my speed everywhere in Los Angeles is capped around 140/90 down and up, which seems like EVDO isnt authenticated, but it says on my phone that it is.

I used a Samsung rant as the original phone which does in fact have 3G, but I'm wondering if this could somehow be an issue.

Upvote 0
Thanks Mr. Ed

I could store all the info but the starred out shared keys. I read I can use QXML or some program with a similar name to extract the info. Someone else said I can simply hold down on the starred out digits and click "edit" and it will then display the secret code, which then has to be copy and pasted because it might not be alphanumeric.

Any help would be appreciated because my speed everywhere in Los Angeles is capped around 140/90 down and up, which seems like EVDO isnt authenticated, but it says on my phone that it is.

I used a Samsung rant as the original phone which does in fact have 3G, but I'm wondering if this could somehow be an issue.

[GUIDE] HTC EVO on MetroPCS!! - xda-developers

I think those are going to be the directions you need

That is literally the only info I can find out there on this...most everyone does it through metro not boost

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones