Major touch input issues with my HTC HeroSupport

Last Updated:

1. kenneho

kenneho New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all.

I'm running the MoDaCo custom ROM on my HTC Hero device, and are experiencing some really strange screen issues. For example, suddenly and for no apparent reason my touch input will start registering my input on a completely different part of the screen than my finger actually touches. Typically, when my finger touches say near the top of the screen, the input registered is near the bottom of the screen. So if I'm on my home screen and want to click an icon at the bottom of the screen, I must press the screen directly above the icon, but a few centimeters up (near the top of the screen). To fix it I must reboot my phone.

Another issue I experience is that every now and then the phone suddenly starts switching between the virtual screens (i.e. home screen and the other ones) in a random matter, or just hangs in the middle of two screens and just "vibrates". To fix this issue too I reboot the phone.

Yet another symptom is that when browsing the internet (I'm using Opera Mini), the scroll up and down a page feature behaves in a random matter, and I'm unable to successfully scroll. Yesterday I even experienced Opera scrolling downwards by itself, regardsless of what I did. I could see the mount pointer (which had turned up for some reason) slowly moving downwards on the screen.

I was using Handcent for SMS'es until I started having the screen issues, but now I doesn't work like before - when I want to to type in text to start composing a SMS, the text area does not respond to my input, but after a few tries (and by using more pressure on the screen input) it reponds.

I'm sure there are other touch input issues I've come across, but these are the ones I find most annoying at the moment. As you can understand, it's impossible to rely on the phone to do what I need to get done when it's so unstable. I don't know what may causing these errors, and would very much appreciate advice on how to debug this thing. I had been running the MoDaCo custom ROM for about a year before I started having issues, so I'm not convinced that it's caused by errors in the ROM. After started to have the problems I upgraded the custom ROM from Android 1.6 to 2.1, but the issues remains.

Best regards,
    kenneho

Advertisement
  2. kenneho

kenneho New Member This Topic's Starter

I reinstalled my HTC Hero yesterday, using the official ROM instead of the custom ROM i've run for the past year and a half. The isses described in my first post was still there after the reinstall. :/ But I ran the G sensor calibration tool this morning, and I've not hade any issues after that. So I'm hoping that this fixed the issue.