• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Major Wifi/BlueTooth issues

SnM_Man

Jan 9, 2015
So 2 weeks ago i woke up to find that my Samsung S4 wifi was not connected and wouldn't turn on(same with the bluetooth). I did someresearch and found out about the problems with the 4.4.2 update but im positive that ive had that update for some months now. Ive also read that bad grounds couldbethe culprit. So I am unsure wether it is a software or a hardware problem.

Ive already tired a few things including soft and hard factory resets, i had a guy try rooting and unrooting, i managed to pull the motherboard out and put it back together properly(everything still works fine except the wifi /BlueTooth). I tired to bring it to tne local cell phone doctor but he said it was most likely a motherboard issue and all he could do was reinstall the firmware, with no garrentee.

The hard factory resets appears to fix the issue but only for a short while. After 10-15mins it shuts off

I am at my wits end and need some help because id rathernot have to fork up big bucks for a new phone.

The "cell phone doctor" may be right. However you have not tried to reflash your firmware yet, which is the last thing to try and yet could work. It is easy enough to do yourself if your willing and unless somebody knows better (and they could do I am not particularly knowledgeable by any stretch of the imagination) you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. The worse that could happen is your problem is unsolved. OK you could "brick" your device (kill it completely), but it won't happen, like you won't get run over crossing the road if you do it properly.

If you want to try flashing the firmware yourself (and it is easy) we here can guide you, and I certainly will.

Upvote 0
OK. For now stop and read. You can do this, but you need to follow this lot to the letter if you do you should be fine, if you don't you'll possibly kill your phone.

I'm going to make this a painless and as easy as possible for you (it's what we do here). I need some information to get you a link for your correct firmware.

First what is your model of SGS4 (Settings>General>about device) The model number.
Now type into the phone dialler *#1234# and post the three lines of information you get under the heading Version
there will be AP, CP and CSC.

Right, once you have posted that I'll find the firmware, post a link to download it and we'll carry on.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This thread on my side could come across as a bit patronising. It is not meant to be I assure you, I just want to make sure you get it right and I have no idea just how "tech savy" you are.

Please tell me your using a Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 PC, any other I have no actual experience with and although I believe the procedure is the same I don't know, and I would not want to give the wrong information and kill your phone - always be cautious, even when you know what your doing.

Assuming you are on XP, Vista or Windows 7 I'll carry on. Have you got "Samsung Kies 3" working and connecting to your phone properly on your PC via USB cable ? If not you'll need that too. Not a problem, here's a link to download it :

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/

Install it to your PC, run it and then connect your phone. The drivers to connect your phone to Kies 3 and your PC will install and the phone will connect. Make sure you use a main USB port on your PC, do not use a USB hub or secondary port. Once your phone connects properly and the drivers have installed close down Kies 3 and make sure any processes in windows task manager mentioning "Kies" are killed too. We just needed it installing for the drivers. Leaving it running or any of it's processes can interfere with Odin V3.09. Never let the piece of garbage darken your PC again - it is truly awful.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all your help!!

I followed all the steps from the sammoible link and managed to reflash the firmware successfully, and ... it again almost worked! The wifi managed to stay on for almost 20mins, it had me totally convinced it was fixed.

Any Other ideas? Im convinced it is a software issue now that the wifi will work for a short amount of time before crashing.

Upvote 0
I have the exact same problem!! Same phone, same provider. I have done everything imaginable to fix this issue. Changed sim tray. Took phone to pieces and back together again. Firmware galore (even custom Roms) and many more. Then usually after a firmware flash that I have done many time before without success Wifi and bluetooth start working again. The last time they started working it only lasted 2 hours. The time before that 4 months!!! There seems to be no logical reason for this malfunction. The only thing I can think of is intermittent hardware failure.

Have you made any headway in the last few months SnM_Man?

I am currently flashing firmwares again, hoping some combination works.

Cheers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones