1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Make apps only use WiFi?

Last Updated:

1. tmacoubrie

tmacoubrie Member This Topic's Starter

Just wondering if there is a way that i could make all my apps run off of wifi only (as i don't have a data plan) and this way i could uninstall the apn switch i use. Not sure if there is any way but any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. TruFatty

TruFatty Member

i don't see any other way, other then being connected to a WIFI network all the time. i don't think the apps are programed to care about what data connection is available.

3. Jayziac

Jayziac Well-Known Member

Apps already run off wifi if it's available. Otherwise 3G/EDGE cell phone data. And you can turn off that too in the settings if you don't have a data plan. I use Tmobile prepaid with no data plan, and only wifi for data when I'm at hotspots.

4. tmacoubrie

tmacoubrie Member This Topic's Starter

So do i just turn off background data sync? or is there another part i need to disable?

5. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member

doing that would stop your refreshes, but when you opened an app it wouldnt stop the app from accessing 3G

6. Jayziac

Jayziac Well-Known Member

Yes, that will prevent apps that are properly written to not use data when in background, but if you bring them to the foreground they'll try to use the data again. Third party apps (not written by google) may not obey this setting. You can always just 'Disable Data' in the settings too. I set mine to 'use 2G only', and 'disable data connection'. So then I don't see an 'E' or '3G' icon anymore on my notification bar. Just a cell signal bar. And the wifi icon when I enable wifi to use data.