Make LG Optimus G like Nexus 4?General

Last Updated:

1. schulzey3486

schulzey3486 Member

Alright, so I've had android phones in the past but they were always to laggy and slow so I switched to an iPhone. I now feel that android is finally up to snuff with the nexus 4 release from watching youtube videos comparing specs.

Since I obviously can't get a nexus 4 for 6-7 weeks, and even then it will be frustrating because I'm currently using sprint so I will have to switch to at&t or tmobile, I've been looking into optimus G. My concerns have to do with what the different manufacturers do to the android operating system when it's not a nexus. I love the look and feel of the nexus 4 stripped down android operating system.

I've never modded/rooted or jailbroken a phone. I see people do custom roms for different android phones to make them look like nexus phones. Is there any way to do this on the optimus G to be like the nexus 4?

Also, what exactly are you doing when you install a rom on android phone to customize? Is it some sort of overlay of the phones version of android (which would make it slow) or are you really changing the software to make it just like a nexus?

The reason I ask is I've seen people customize their galaxy s3 phones to be like a nexus so I figure it's possible on optimus G.

Thanks for any help!

Advertisement
  2. Thats

Thats That guy is This VIP Member

When you root a phone, you are accessing elevated privledges while on the phone. When you install a custom ROM you are completely deleting the system partition of the internal phone and reinstalling a custom tooled system image that loads up. This can be anything like LG's stock image, or a custom ROM like Cyanogenmod or Android Open Kang Project (AOKP). Hope this helps!

PS: THIS should help you, also.