• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Make phone faster without factory reset?

zijincheng

Jan 14, 2012
My Incredible S became really laggy, and I factory reset it, and boom! It became super fast again.

My question is 3 fold:

1. Will my phone become super fast every time I reset it or will it be like windows, the more you use it, the slower it gets every time you reset it.

2. Is there a way to make my phone super fast without resetting it, and things like uninstalling apps, removing widgets and home screens, using a new launcher they don't make the phone the way it was when I first got it.

3. If (2) is not possible, and even if it is, is there a way to "mass install" all the apps I already had when I factory reset without having to download them one by one?

1. Any phone of any OS is like that

2. Keep the background running apps minimum, and try to install everything on the phone's internal memory. This is a problem for phones with lower internal memory, but that's just the way it is. The more apps and data you have on the external SD that the phone has to access, the slower it will be.

3. Not sure, some people say the Fast Installer on Appbrain can do it.

Upvote 0
1. Any phone of any OS is like that

2. Keep the background running apps minimum, and try to install everything on the phone's internal memory. This is a problem for phones with lower internal memory, but that's just the way it is. The more apps and data you have on the external SD that the phone has to access, the slower it will be.

3. Not sure, some people say the Fast Installer on Appbrain can do it.

My phone only has 1Gb of internal memory. Isn't speed determined by microSD card access speed? If it is, I have a class 10 MicroSD, and I will try out Fast Installer

Also, if you are using any task killers, stop!

No I'm not using any task killers

EDIT: Fast installer wasn't what I was looking for, I was looking for an app that would download and install a specific set of apps direct from the app store

Upvote 0
My phone only has 1Gb of internal memory. Isn't speed determined by microSD card access speed? If it is, I have a class 10 MicroSD, and I will try out Fast Installer

Doesn't matter how fast your card is. The internal memory will always be faster, and scanning for data on the card will always be slower. It has to do with the different technologies used on the storage systems of either drive. Plus the OS sits on the same drive as the internal memory. You can always search your own bag faster and easier compared to searching your friend's bag. Not to mention the internal hardware hardwired to the motherboard.

Upvote 0
Doesn't matter how fast your card is. The internal memory will always be faster, and scanning for data on the card will always be slower. It has to do with the different technologies used on the storage systems of either drive. Plus the OS sits on the same drive as the internal memory. You can always search your own bag faster and easier compared to searching your friend's bag. Not to mention the internal hardware hardwired to the motherboard.

I always thought the MicroSD was like just another hard drive...

I will try out the cache cleaner (when my phone gets slow :D)

Upvote 0
At home:

put phone on wifi, enable fast web installer,

on my computer go to app brain web site, log in with gmail account

choose any apps & install them. They magically appear on the phone :smokingsomb:

--
You can even find apps that let you back up your apk's to sD card if you're unsure about them. You can try them again later.

I haven't noticed my phone get slower. Some apps can be moved to SD card, & android will 'time out' apps in the background if you don't use them for a while.

There are some apps that let you 'freeze' apps so they don't work, but honestly I've never needed this. Or task managers.

Upvote 0
I got my first android phone a month ago. What is this cache thing? It seems that each application has a clear cache option.
I'm probably not the best one to explain this, but here I go.
I guess a cache is like where old files are stored that I don't think you really need anymore and as that fills up it can make your android or PC run slower and clearing the cache will make it run faster again.
Some apps like email or messages have a cache and it's always good to clear your apps caches and your phones every now and then.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones