• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Make Spotify think I'm on WiFi when on 3G?

fluc02

Dec 2, 2009
I'm currently trying to use the Spotify app on my Droid in the US. It runs fine over WiFi, but as soon as I switch off WiFi it instantly drops into "Offline Mode" and won't come back out.

Does anyone know of a way to trick Spotify into thinking that I'm connected to a WiFi network when I'm on 3G? Or any other way to get the app working over 3G in the US? I also tried using the long-discontinued Droidify app, but it force-closes upon attempting to login.

Sounds more like something that would need to be adjusted in the app coding itself. Maybe the developer needs to be notified, unless it's intended. Speaking of which, how did you get Spotify to work in the U.S.?

It seems to be a problem with their app, as it only occurs in Android 2.0 and not in 1.5/1.6, and is happening to users of the Milestone in Europe as well. Hopefully they'll be fixing it soon.

I downloaded the app from Spotify Mobile (visit that URL from your phone and use the manual install link). I created a free account using a proxy (specifically, this one: Anonymous Web Browser - Free online proxy service - Surf anonymously!) at https://www.spotify.com/en/get-started and entering a UK postal code.

Then I upgraded it to a Premium account (you need a premium account to use the mobile app) by opening a Paypal account with a British address, sending the money to that Paypal account from my real one, and then using Paypal to pay for my Premium account.

Yes, I do have too much free time on my hands.

Upvote 0
If anyone else out there is trying to run this app as well, I have figured out a workaround:

Long press on a track from any playlist and select View Artist. Once the Artist pop-up loads, press the search button on your phone. This will let you run a search and bring up any artist you like. Even though the results page will say offline and the results will be greyed out, you can still click on them and stream music as normal.

Edit: This only works when clicking on an artist or album from the search, not individual tracks.

Upvote 0
It seems to be a problem with their app, as it only occurs in Android 2.0 and not in 1.5/1.6, and is happening to users of the Milestone in Europe as well.

I have the Milestone here in the UK and have never had this problem with Spotify - just tested again and it's fine. Spotify might sometimes take a minute or so to connect on first startup if the 3G signal is weak, but other than that this issue is new to me. Where did you hear about these other European users with this problem?

Sorry I can't help any more atm. I would say to log a query on Spotify's getsatisfaction support site but as you're in the US you're on your own for now...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones