Make the Space Bar Bigger on the Evo Keyboard!!!

Last Updated:

1. rhwd2003

rhwd2003 Member This Topic's Starter

Guys I find my self constantly hitting the period instead of the space bar and half of my texts/emails all have . laced all throughout them. Is there anyway to change the keyboard to where the space bar is bigger? I don't care about voice search so if I could get rid of that and make the space bar icon bigger that would be great.. is it possible?

I am coming from an iPhone where I could type like crazy quick on there. I can do the same on the Evo and love the bigger keys but for some reason the poisitioning of the space bar is killing me.

Advertisement
  2. lyons238

lyons238 Well-Known Member

same here dude :( im.always.typing like.this
    if you find a solution pm me and ill do the same for you

3. lamboh

lamboh Well-Known Member

get the swype app. Takes a lil gettig used to but it's awesome.

4. NeoEVO

NeoEVO Well-Known Member

5. JoshUng

JoshUng Well-Known Member

Don't know if you're open to downloading Swype. It doesn't make the space bar bigger, but you don't need to use the space bar. After a word is input, you just swype in a new word, it will add the space for you. It will take time to get used to the new input method though. Swype is open to the public now.

My complaint so far is that it doesn't seem to add the period for you when you double space.

Edit: for the record, didn't see lamboh's post when I started typing. But obviously, I agree, Swype is good. I haven't tried other market keyboards.

6. Evo_Pimpin

Evo_Pimpin Well-Known Member

Same.here.and.it.drives.me.crazy. This is the only real issue I have with the keyboard.

7. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

Yeah I HATE the space bar on the Sense keyboard for the EVO, I'm always hitting the period key :( I'm using the Swype keyboard now so i don't have to deal with it. I can either use the Swype method or just type on it regularly.

8. zpilot

zpilot Well-Known Member

Swype much?

9. maw4bc

maw4bc Well-Known Member

I don't hit the period I end up hitting the buttons below the space bar. the arrow buttons, which I still dont understand why they are there.

but as everyone else has said, get swype. I got it today and it is just incredible. can't believe I haven't always used this.

10. sweteg

sweteg Well-Known Member

It's weird cause yes the Evo's spacebar is smaller, but the iPhone's keyboard is too big and there are less keys. None of the them can find a medium haha. But I actually type faster on the Evo than I did the iPhone (which I've used for 2 years). It's due to the bigger screen and more spacing.

I notice the errors in typing is caused by me glancing on and off at the screen instead of paying attention to the keyboard. Try to see if that helps you? If I know what I want to type which is 99% of the time, I will focus mostly on the keyboard to make sure I hit everything instead of paying attention to the text on the screen to see if it's being typed correctly. I do the same for the iPad and I can type pretty fast on there too.

edit: Pingpongboss posted this in another thread: Also, HTC_IME is a modded version of the stock Evo keyboard and it is AWESOME [MOD] HTC_IME (8th June) v27: Small fix - xda-developers

I must say that's a pretty sweet keyboard. Props to the creator for that one.

11. IPvFletch

IPvFletch Well-Known Member

Calibrate your keyboard folks. It may at least help if nothing else.

Settings > Language/Keyboard > Input Method > Calibrate Keyboard

12. lobug

lobug Banned

I can type miles faster on my iPhone, and I have Swype installed on the Evo. It's not the keyboard as much as it's Apple's software and how it interprets input. The autocorrection is light years better on the iPhone.