Make VoIP calls using a tablet

1. sfrules

sfrules New Member

Hey Everyone,

I was hoping someone can give me tutorial of how make calls using VoIP services.

Let me start off by saying this: I live in California currently, but will be moving internationally for school. I want an inexpensive(free) method for being able to communicate with everyone in the states. I recently purchased an Asus Transformer, which is a tablet that does not have 3G capabilities. I already got a google voice number in hopes of using a SIP client and making calls. Also I downloaded Sipdroid on my tablet. (i mostly followed the tutorial on Configure your Android phone to make free wifi phone calls to the U.S. in just minutes!) but here are some obstacles I am facing:

GV callback app on my market place will not download, thus I cannot set up a SIP client.
    I read about gizmo5, but the website I think is not available anymore
    It looks like sipdroid is out of numbers and is not able to assign me a number

I would really appreciate it if someone could give me another alternative to making calls. Also please give me detailed instructions, since im a noob on androids

Thans!

Advertisement
    :
  2. tiredhiker

tiredhiker Well-Known Member

I do the same as you want to on my G1. I work in Nam and call the USA for 1 cents a minute using Sipdroid and Voip.ms as my sip provider. I would guess you can get WiFi on your tablet. I also guess you must use headphones as well. Your software is most likely 2.1 or 2.2 so you could use the Skype app as well but they charge 3 cents a min so only use skype to skype. Took me a while to get it all to work but it does work. Keep at it.
  3. sfrules

sfrules New Member

So I am using Android 3.1. It seems that a lot of apps are having a similar problem where they wont download on the Honeycomb OS =(