• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Make your own custom molded earbuds for $15

Contempt

Apr 6, 2010
I don't claim to be the inventor of this idea. I just hope it helps some folks.

If you are like me and have weird ear canals, then you may also know the frustration of loving earbuds, but never finding any that fit correctly or stay in your ears..especially if you work-out.

I hope this helps you. It is easy. effective, and most importantly, it is cheap.

All you will need is:

1. Earbud Headset (Canal type - see below).
2. Radians custom ear plug kit. Link: Amazon.com: Radians Custom Molded Earplugs - Red: Home Improvement
3. Silly Putty (which you can play with afterward :D).
4. Drill and Drill Bits (size will vary based on type of earbuds)
5. Exacto Knife.
6. The ability to not drill through your hand or cut yourself with the Exacto Knife.

imag0053k.jpg

These instructions are very basic as I have little patience for uploading images etc.. , but I think you will get the idea.

This only works with earbuds that use ear canal cushions (pictured below). It will not work with Ipod type earbuds (well it might, but I never tried it). I suppose it could also work with certain bluetooth earpieces as well.

imag0058t.jpg

Let's get started:

Step 1.

Use the silly putty to make a mold in your ear before you use the actual Radians kit. The silly putty will allow you to practice and fine tune the amount you need for each ear. When you have the size right, ball it up for reference.

Step 2.

Following the instructions provided; mold 2 custom earplugs with the Radians kit (one for each ear ;)). Use the silly putty ball you made earlier to make sure you mix just the right amount for each ear. Radians gives you plenty. Probably enough for the average eared person to make 2 sets.

Step 3.

After the earplugs set up (3 hours for full cure. I allowed 24 just in case) use a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the earbud-cushion mount (remove the cushion 1st ;)) and carefully drill a hole from the outside of the earplug into the meatier part of the earplug. Follow the ear canal (Make sure they are not in your ears at this point :eek:). Be careful not to drill too deep. You want the hole to be deep enough to accept the earbud without making the earplug sidewalls too thin. DO NOT DRILL ALL THE WAY THROUGH - ONLY ENOUGH TO ACCEPT THE EARBUD.

These earplugs are a little flexible so make sure your hole is slightly smaller so the earbud can be pressed in tightly and not come out easily. If you make it too loose I suppose you could glue the earbud in, but that would not allow for cleaning if you have funky ears :D.

imag0056s.jpg

Step 4.

Once the large hole is bored and cleaned. Use a smaller bit to drill from the ear canal side to the larger hole. The bit size will depend on your ear canal. I used 1/8". This will channel the sound right to the sweetspot. (I'm not responsible for any hearing loss by the way. So behave).

Use the Exacto knife to carefully clean off any rough spots on either of the openings so it is smooth and comfortable.

imag0057c.jpg

Step 5.

Using a toothpick and q-tips, make sure all the small particles are cleaned out. Then press the earbuds into the larger hole and adjust. You can add a dab of silicone to the sides of the earbud if you want to make sure they don't come apart, but if you made the hole tight enough. You will be happy with the results and there is no permanent effect to the earbuds.

When you are done they should look like this:

imag0055c.jpg

imag0054b.jpg

They will fit your ear like a glove and will give great noise reduction. Great for working out and running as well.

I love mine and have 2 sets. One for my BT earbuds (pictured) and one for my wired set. Can't beat the price.

Enjoy!

As the manufacturer of Silly Putty(R) products, Crayola LLC recommends you avoid using Silly Putty in the ear. Please contact your physician for additional assistance.

If not for my inner ear, what else am I supposed to use Silly Putty(R) for?

Does Crayola LLC recommend I avoid using Silly Putty(R) in ANY of my orifices or does this recommendation exclusively pertain to ears?

Upvote 0
I stated the idea was not my own. I actually read about the idea from a comments section on a website for custom molded earplugs and the poster actually used 2 part epoxy rather than Radians. I thought to use Radians when I was looking for alternatives to epoxy. I have not read the article you posted until now. I guess a good idea is just that.

Eerie. :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones