Making app's to take only SOME portion of screen

1. Kartik Sharma

Kartik Sharma New Member

So, I want to make an app that usses only some portion of screen, while the rest portion can be used by user.

For example, if a user open app through Home Screen Shortcut, app may cover 25% of height while rest 75% will be covered by home screen such that user can use both apps and home screen. Same applies to other scenarios.

I am actually trying to create a custom notification panel, hence want my panel to hide the original one.

If there is any other way to do this, plz tell me.

Advertisement
  2. Kartik Sharma

Kartik Sharma New Member

3. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Well-Known Member

You just need to make the potion of the screen you want to "appear" as being not taken up by your app transparent. Also, i you want touch events to pass through your app, into the underlying app (for example the home screen), you need to register a View.OnClickListener with transparent layout and just return false.
    Kartik Sharma likes this.
  4. LexiconStudios

LexiconStudios Well-Known Member

Making that part of your app transparent is definitely the way to do it, but I'd still do this only if absolutely necessary and it contributes to your app. I've seen it done poorly and in a way that confuses uses.
  5. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Well-Known Member

Agreed. There are very few cases where an app that only takes up some of the screen is a good idea.
  6. Kartik Sharma

Kartik Sharma New Member

Thanks dude. Love you. No Home:D