• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Making calls over wi-fi but using my sim phone #

aquadoll

Lurker
Jun 14, 2012
Is there an app which would use wi-fi to make outbound (and possibly inbound too, but not necessary) calls from my android phone?

I am already aware of Groove IP and the SIP options and their integration with Google Voice, but that is *not* what I am asking. I want to make wi-fi calls when I am near wi-fi but still use my t-mo phone number (just to save the mins). I am OK with receiving calls on the t-mo network.

I have seen something like this in a Samsung t409 feature phone I used to have. It used to call using wi-fi when I am wi-fi connected, and not use the cell minutes.

Looks like TMO might have added wifi calling to a new SIM recently. I would like to find out more about this to see if it works in any TMO phone.

My Samsung Galaxy S had built in wifi calling. It was actually more like an app. You could put it on the screen like other apps. Phone was rooted, but never installed a custom ROM, so Wifi kept working.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones