Making my home wifi the 'prefered' connection!!!

Last Updated:

1. kpslick

kpslick Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all.

Sorry if this has already come up. I've looked long and hard but cant find an answer.

I just want to know how, if at all, I can set my home wifi network as my desire's prefered wifi connection, so that whenever my home network comes into range, my phone will automatically connect to that network.

The problem comes up when I've been out somewhere and tried to connec (I say tried, because I can't get it to connect, this is another issue) to a BT openzone or the cloud. When I get home, there is actually another BT openzone within range, so my phone 'still' tries to connect with it.

Just wondering if I can set my home network to prefered so that it connects with this by default. I think I remember reading a review about the desire saying that it can do this, but I can't figure it out.

Any help would be great guys and gals!

Cheers.

Advertisement
  2. stueyboy

stueyboy Well-Known Member

I don't know if you can do what you want but you can long press on the btopenzone connection and force the phone to forget that network and it should then connect to your home network

kpslick likes this.
  3. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! :D

If you're running around with your wifi active all the time, you're burning a lot of battery. :eek:

That said, in that mode it should automatically connect to known networks (as well as detect open networks). Sometimes, it does need a bit of a nudge, and by that I mean toggling wifi off and then on again.

kpslick likes this.
  4. kpslick

kpslick Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the responses! I don't run around with my wifi on, but when I get home, i turn it on, and it tries to re connect with the last wifi it was on. Like I said, there's a bt openzone signal in my area, so it tries to connect to that instead of connecting to my home wifi, even though it can 'see' it.

I know I can force the phone to 'forget' the wifi I don't want, but that's a pain in the ass! Besides, what if I want to re connect to that particular wifi when I go out next?

I know I'm just moaning, but it would be good if it would remember your 'prefered' wifi and just connect to that whenever it's in range. I'm SURE I read about that feature somewhere...must find it!

Once again, thanks for the replies!

5. g4rvd4

g4rvd4 Well-Known Member

I agree with you. The 'preference' option is really required.

kpslick likes this.
  6. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

If you set WiFi to sleep, then it doesn't use much power when out of range ;)

7. matthew1471

matthew1471 Member

I use Tasker to set my wifi on from 17:00 to 09:00 (when I'm at home), and off when I'm at work.

It can also connect to a specific wifi connection - maybe that is something you could look at?

8. jred7469

jred7469 Well-Known Member

Do you have a link to Tasker? I cannot find it anywhere!

9. wilmer000

wilmer000 Member

Cracked it. WrecX free in market allows you to set a preferred AP, and either allow or exclude OPEN AP should you lose signal.

Re:tasker, basically a full phone API with undocumented GUI. Complex, requires *full* permissions (not my bag!), costs 4GB

10. amlothi

amlothi Well-Known Member

11. carlaron

carlaron Member

I downloaded WrecX but I don't seem to be able to set a preferred wifi connection. On the main screen, there is the choice of "place", which seems to be a manual way to change from one wifi to another (same as you can do anyway in the wifi settings), and there is a setting... but it doesn't seem to do anything that I can see.

Maybe my need is different. I have a wifi tablet, FiOS at home, and I have a mobile hotspot for when I'm out. What I want is for the tablet to switch over to the hotspot when I leave the house, then, when I walk back into the house, to switch back to the home wifi, so I don't use 4G/3G hotspot data that costs per MB.

Connecting to the mobile hotspot when I leave the house works fine... The wifi is always on, and when I leave the house it looks to see if there is another wifi network, finds the mobile hotspot and connects.

The problem is when I come back into the house, it has no reason to look for and switch to the home wifi and switch to it, unless I turn off the hotspot.

I'll want to turn off the hotspot, anyway, but I'm worried that if I forget to turn it off, I could use my whole month's mobile hotspot allowance in one day, thinking I'm using FiOS, when I'm not.

I tried various settings in WrecX, and none of them seem to make the wifi switch when I get back home.