Making/Receiving Calls Through Car SpeakerssSupport

Last Updated:

1. hebasabio

hebasabio New Member This Topic's Starter

I've tried searching this topic for 15 minutes but cannot find anything about it, so I'm sorry if it has been posted before... Anyways, when there is an auxiliary cable, or headphones I'm assuming also, plugged into the phone, I can hear the person who I call/who calls me, but they cannot hear me through the phone. Is this true with everyone's phone? Listening to music and then having someone call me while it is plugged in is very annoying as I have to hang up on them and call back. Thanks for your help.

Advertisement
  2. Othan1

Othan1 Well-Known Member

Good question. I was wondering the same thing. It's nice to be able to plug into the auxillary jack of the car so we can listen to our music, but I, too, either have to call people back or just plain ignore them. I can't pick up the phone while driving, though (it sits in a cradle like a gps), because it's illegal in California anyway.

3. ALooneyGuy

ALooneyGuy Member

I'm glad to see someone else having this problem. I thought I might have some app that was causing it somehow. Hopefully, someone has a solution.

4. nate f

nate f Active Member

Just unplug your aux cable and put the phone on speaker to answer the call or just hang up let them leave a message and get back to the music.

5. redsox88

redsox88 Member

I'd assume it wouldn't be possible to take calls through your car speakers unless you have the bluetooth capability to do so. When you plug in an aux cable, the phone is probably registering that the head set is being plugged in and disables the "microphone" on the phone itself in order to use the microphone on the headset.

The phone probably can't tell the difference between when an aux cable and when a headset is plugged in - thus causing the phone to disable it's microphone either way.

If your phone is in a cradle of some sort, the only solution may be to just unplug the aux cable and turn on the speaker phone.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

6. ALooneyGuy

ALooneyGuy Member

I've done a bunch of experimenting with this today, and I have determined that you cannot take a call while plugged into your car stereo unless you have a bluetooth device enabled. I was hoping you could answer the call and enable the speakerphone or something, but this simply does not work. Maybe this functionality can be added in a future update.

7. catpowrd

catpowrd Well-Known Member

You could use a Bluetooth Jabra BT3030 then the phone call would come through the car speakers and mute the mp3. I like using the stereo speakers in my truck for phone calls, makes the best speakerphone you can get. Knock off BT3030 are about $20 and have a mic built in.

8. dbelleman

dbelleman Well-Known Member

If you look at the headphone jack that came with the headphones that came with your moment you will notice it is a little different.

[​IMG]

9. ALooneyGuy

ALooneyGuy Member

I understand that the audio out cable I'm using to connect the Moment to my car stereo doesn't contain a microphone. What I don't understand is why having this cable connected overrides my ability to click the "speaker" button so that I can actually talk when I answer the phone.

10. Othan1

Othan1 Well-Known Member

Wow. Didn't know that existed. That's pretty damned awesome. It seems like it would be useful to me just for the music alone because it's easier to use without looking because the sections are raised.

Thanks for that; I'm going to have to get one.

11. kjchen69

kjchen69 Member

hello guys, I just have my Moment a few days ago, I am still trying to get use to it as my previous phone was iphone.
    I also have this question and problem that when plug AUX cable, can't just answer and talk throw the phone & car speaker but Iphone actually could do it.
    I am not trying to complain but is there anyway besides bluetooth? or at least can just answer it and hit the phone speaker and just talk?
    it's kind of uncomforable while driving and listening to the music, and then a call comes in, have to unplug, unlock the screen, answer it and then hit the speaker...
    eventhough...shouldn't be doing all that while driving though.... :)-

hope there's solution out there for this, thank you so much and all above idea and suggestion all help a lot, thank you!

K.J

12. JoTappman

JoTappman New Member

When you plug your phone into your car stereo, you are probably using a 3-conductor plug (handles stereo). Look at the end of the plug, if you see two painted indented stripes, it means the plug is separated into three different metal contacts (with the stripes between, I believe they are divided into right speaker, left speaker and either a neutral or power--I'm not an electronics whiz). For phones, it expects a 4-conductor, or a plug with three painted indented stripes (the fourth being the microphone).

The phone only knows that something is plugged in. It is expecting the microphone and two speakers, instead it is only presented with the two speakers.

My older phone, the MotoQ, used a 2.5mm jack, and when I'd plug regular headphones or stereo jack into it, the connections were weird. One half of my headphones would work, and the phone would immediately freak out thinking it was getting some voice command. In a sense, it turned one of the headphone speakers into a microphone (they don't work well like that). It's all on how it where it takes the input (I think this is standardized--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector).

I'm betting the droid is doing the same, and no app should be able to distinguish since it's purely hardware-related. For my older phone it took a 2.5mm 4-conductor to 3.5mm 3-conductor converter to get it to work on my car stereos or normal headphones. I believe what we need is a 3.5mm 4-conductor to 3.5 (or whatever) 3-conductor converter.

I was just at Radio Shack yesterday and I couldn't find one.

Without the converter you'll need to unplug the cable to use the phone for a call.