• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Making th switch from iOS to Android

iBenji

Lurker
Aug 28, 2011
So I do I had my beloved iPod touch stollen yesterday. I'm so bummed about that. My parents decided instead of buying me a new iPod touch to buy me a Samsung Galaxy S 4G. What are some tips on making the big switch? This will be my very first Android device. Thanks :D

So I do I had my beloved iPod touch stollen yesterday. I'm so bummed about that. My parents decided instead of buying me a new iPod touch to buy me a Samsung Galaxy S 4G. What are some tips on making the big switch? This will be my very first Android device. Thanks :D
Here are a few tips:
  1. Don't install a "task killer" app. Apps "running" aren't really running--they're just cached in memory so they can load up more quickly. Unused RAM is wasted RAM.
  2. Don't install applications willy-nilly. Be choosy about what apps you install... some are badly written, some are just bad, and some are malware. Look carefully at reviews and also what permissions the app is requesting.
  3. The keyboard can be very fast, but it doesn't work like an iPhone keyboard. Don't hunt and peck. Don't bother with constantly switching to the alternative keyboard for punctuation. Just start typing the first three letters of each word and then select the appropriate autoselection.

Upvote 0
You can say goodbye to i-Tunes because you can copy/paste all of your files to the phone or the SD card. Most phones support up to 32GB but a 16GB card will cost you less than $20. An 8GB card less than $10. So expansion is not a problem compared to iOS.

You also need a Google account. This is a Google-centric OS.

And, it's a smartphone! Calls and 4g internet are possible (Obviously). :)

Lastly, get a spare battery. The multitasking capability of Android makes it a power hog compared to iOS. They're cheap anyway.

Amazon.com: 2X Battery + FREE Travel Charger W/ USB Output for Samsung Galaxy S, Fascinate, Sprint Epic 4G, AT&T Captivate, T-Mobile Vibrant, i9000, i897, T959,: Cell Phones & Accessories

Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy S 1500mAh Standard Li-ion Battery for Samsung Captivate i897 Samsung Focus i917 Samsung Epic 4G Samsung Vibrant T959: Electronics

Upvote 0
Oh, and a couple of other things:

4. Install Google Voice. The integration is much better on Android than on iOS.

5. In Contacts, be aware you can send certain contacts straight to voicemail--great for any unwanted calls if you create one contact called "Wrong number" or something.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones