Making the move to android with some questions..

Last Updated:

1. BORIStheBLADE

BORIStheBLADE Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I was going to get the Mytouch, but saw that the Motorola Cliq and want to wait now. I like the keyboard on it, it looks a little less cramped compared to the touch screens out there.

I'm coming from a Black Berry and have some questions for you guys.

Is it possible to back up your contacts pretty easy with androids? With a BB app you are able to save contacts and your calender info to a small file that you can restore to the phone or a new one if something were to happen.

If you wanted to put music or ringtones the phone basically gets mounted on a computer like a hard drive and you can drag and drop the files in?

thanks

Advertisement
  2. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Welcome! :)

I would say, you can't avoid it -- you need a Google Account to use Android, and your contacts are synced between the phone and Google's servers. If you turn off Auto Sync (to save a bit of battery) they might be a little out of date, but overall consider them backed up.

Yes. If you connect your phone to your computer (with any USB to mini-USB cable), your phone will detect that and offer to 'mount' itself as a volume.
    My Galaxy actually serves two volumes, the built-in memory and the removable sd-card slot. Mind you, however, that you can't see the entire (root) file system.

3. BORIStheBLADE

Very cool, I like the google account idea. I think I have one already too.

I'm sure I won't have a problem mounting a Android witha Apple computer right?

4. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Don't ask me whether you're sure or not! ;) Seriously though, it is detected as a USB mass storage device, so you should have no problems. (When it comes to flashing a newer firmware, though, it seems you do need access to a Windows machine. :mad:)

5. BORIStheBLADE

Ok I can make that work. My desktop is a Apple and my laptop is Windows.

6. dakev

dakev Well-Known Member

I have a Mac and I had to start Windows to root my hero. Luckily Mac's can do that when necessary.