Making the switch- returning ally for incredibleGeneral

Last Updated:

1. CBLJazz

CBLJazz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My wife has been dissatisfied in the ALLY phone speed.
    Touch Screen.
    Display.
    Social networking is sloppy.
    To her the only plus is the keyboard.

We're returning the ALLY for the INCREDIBLE- none in stock so they're on back order and won't be shipped until 6/22.

oh well.
    We knew she'd eventually get a phone without a keyboard because she was eventually going to get an iphone.

After she gets the incredible she'll be "google for life."

Advertisement
  2. Gink

Gink Well-Known Member

I just ordered an Ally to replace my super-laggy Eris. Not having a whole lotta confidence in the Ally at this point :(

3. CBLJazz

i'm sure the ally is better than the eris but not the incredible.

if you're going to upgrade, why not get the droid?

4. Gink

Gink Well-Known Member

My husband has a droid and it's just too big for me. I don't like the physical profile at all. I like the Incredible but have a hard time paying $200 for something nearly identical to my phone - just a little faster. I was hoping the Ally would bring something different to the table since it won't have Sense. I guess we'll see....

5. drkeng

drkeng Well-Known Member

I was wondering if I was gonna want to trade my Inc that's coming tomorrow for the Ally for the hard kb. maybe I'll be glad I risked the order a couple of weeks ago, so I don't have to wait any more.

is it true that any smart phone you return to verizon (even unopened) incurs a $35 re-stocking fee? I'm pretty sure that's what I was told after I ordered.

6. Gink

Gink Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe that is correct. When I was looking at the paperwork that came with the Ally yesterday I saw that disclaimer. I wasn't aware of that prior to ordering the phone :(

7. CBLJazz

just my opinion, but i think the incredible will blow away your eris.
    the eris doesn't have andrloid 2.1 right?
    the eris also doesn't sense ui?
    and the eris doesn't have that optical joystick.

the gps on 2.1 is worth $100- actually more because it's integrated into your phone/contacts.

8. Gink

Gink Well-Known Member

Yes, the Inc does blow the Eris out of the water as far as speed goes. I don't really use Nav or GPS so those aren't huge sellers for me. The Eris has Sense and 2.1 although mine is rooted :) I love the root on it - so much faster than before, but the Inc is definitely faster.

I definitely think I'm in the minority with this, but the size of the Inc and the Droid and even the Shadow (from what I've read) is a major turn-off. I like the profile of the Eris, it's nice and small with a decent size screen. I was worried about the bigger size of the Ally but it actually fits nicely in my hand. That's one of my top-5 requirements. Holding the other phones in my hand I can't reach across the screen to the upper left corner without using my other hand. Maybe I'm just picky but I like to be able to use only one hand. Silly perhaps....but it is what it is.

From what I've read about upcoming Android devices they're only getting bigger... Great for some, but not me.

9. drkeng

drkeng Well-Known Member

just my $.02. I ordered the Incredible and got it Friday. My son has the LG Voyager (precursor to Touch) and my wife has the EnV. Great hard keyboards, like my Versa that I got a couple of months before the EnV touch came out. Just that the Versa hard keyboard came in such a butt ugly case. I hardly ever used it. Had constant trouble with the top row of keys on the Versa virtual kb, almost always one letter off, but not too much trouble with the other rows. Also have a ipod touch and did ok with that kb.
    So, now I have the Inc...keyboard much bigger than Versa (virtual) and you have the text correct function. I'm not flying through texts yet, but overall it's quite good. I think the other advantages of the Inc trump the keyboard factor compared to the Ally. Plus, I tried the Ally and the kb seems a little smaller than EnV.

10. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

I'm telling you guys, if you would try swype you will never want a physical keyboard every again IMO. so much faster and more accurate (with practice).

11. yellowfrizbee

yellowfrizbee Well-Known Member

Ive actually tried swype, and while I like it better than typing regularly on a virtual keyboard, the fact is, swype or not, it still feels like a virtual keyboard (because it is).

You cant compare the two, really. Some prefer one, some prefer the other. They are two very different things. I wish I liked virtual keyboards!

I type alot on my phone. It really replaces my laptop. If I didnt type so much, sure, ill suck it up and take the virtual, but I do type alot so I like to do the typing on what im comfortable with. Ive owned an ipod touch for a couple years so I can tell ya, ive been consistently using a virtual keyboard for a while :p..gotta have my physical.

12. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

Oh man, If I could get swype on my laptop that would be sweet!!!! I would never type again!

13. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

A physical keyboard gets you out of a force close loop that persists even when you pull the battery. If you only have a touch screen keyboard, you are back to factory reset so that you can figure out what went wrong.

14. CBLJazz

It took 3 weeks but she finally go the INCREDIBLE and is amazed at it''s power.
    The INCREDIBLE is a much more powerful phone than the ALLY and she particularly love the HTC variation of android- SENSE UI.

15. heffe2001

heffe2001 Well-Known Member

I waited too long, so my Incredible won't be shipped until the 10th, and the wait is killing me, lol.

Good thing is, the new roms will hopefully be stable by the time I get mine, and maybe I can load a good, working Froyo on it :D.