Making the switch to T-MobileGeneral

1. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member Contributor

I just bought a used Galaxy Exhibit online. I am switching to TMobile and the $30 100 min/unlimited text/unlimited data.

Looks like a solid phone from the countless websites and videos. I don't need the latest and greatest and my budget is tight. This phone and plan seem to be the cheapest for what I need. I also need the 4G for data. And I plan to root and put a custom recovery.

Any feedback is appreciated

Advertisement
  2. aap

aap Active Member

The phone is pretty solid with latest updates. If you have the original firmware, it crashes a lot. If it says Android 2.3.5 you will want to download the latest Kies from samsung.com and get it to update your ROM. Or you could go the custom ROM route... but the updated stock ROM isn't bad. Once custom recovery is installed you could use it to remove some of the bloatware.

Not sure if you will be able to get that $30 plan with a used phone though. As long as you are activating a new SIM online at t-mobile.com, it might work. Good luck.
    tube517 likes this.
  3. tube517

I ordered a new SIM at tmobile for 99 cents. Phone hasn't arrived yet so I am not sure if it has 2.3.5 or 2.3.6

I will definitely be rooting w/custom ROM
  4. bob60626

bob60626 Well-Known Member

The back is quite slippery. I gave one to my brother and we decided to get a case before ever taking it outside. Seems like a nice phone so far. I have another one new in box; I'm trying to decide between it, my new S2, or even my scratched up OV (cheap plan, cheap phone!). My 4G 7+ tablet should be here today so I no longer need a large phone. I've even been considering going to a talk+text plan only. I spend too much time on my phone doing nothing. :D

FWIW, I bought both of them new from TMO online with 2 $50 cards, shipped and with tax, for just under 400. One was supposed to replace my girlfriend's broken iPhone and the other was supposed to replace my OV. I then went and bought a new S2, paid for but don't appear to be actually getting a like new S3, and a 4G tablet anyway. FML.
    tube517 likes this.
  5. tube517

Yep you can use a used phone with the $30 ppd plan with new Sim. This is an underrated phone
  6. SatelliteGuy

SatelliteGuy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure who you're switching from. If's its some rediculous city-only service like Cricket, and you need rural service, you're stepping up for sure. If you have ANY reputable carrier, (ATT, SPRINT, VERIZON, ALLTEL), then I feel sorry for you. You said times were tight, so I understand. As long as you understand, you are getting the crappiest, most fraudulent, sorriest major service provider out there today. Their coverage sucks. Their data coverage sucks. Their data network is horrible. And while the idea of no overage charges is nice in theory, NEEDING your data service, and having NO WAY TO BUY BACK IN, is the worst idea I have ever heard of. They teach their guys in the store to twist the truth, and come just short of outright lying.

They're better than some, but are the worst of all the major players. (Remember, you get what you pay for.) I hope you're broke enough to put up with it, cuz it's gonna suck being a TMO customer!
  7. tube517

Try paying $80 + taxes etc per month for 40 kbps data speeds in your front yard, on contract. 4g not in your area, on contract. I switched from Sprint. The other 2 don't offer anything comparable in this price range