1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

** Malicious App ALERT! **

Last Updated:

1. cranky_dan

cranky_dan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

According to this Slashdot article, an app creator, Droid09, has written some troublesome apps.

If you have any apps written by this person, you're advised to get rid of them immediately, and contact your service provider to establish if your mobile device been compromised.

Good luck...
    Dan

Advertisement
  2. jonno

jonno Well-Known Member

Is there a list of Apps we know this person has created?

Thanks for the info

3. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

It was sure to happen sooner or later.

4. skylinedrifter

skylinedrifter Member

Isn't that the person who had been writing all of those bank applicatons that are available in the market?

As soon as I saw that the author was anyone but my bank I completely disregarded any thought of downloading it then I saw all the other bank apps that he had put out and I was rather certain he was up to no good.

5. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

I use Personal Assistant for all my banking info (just to see my status, not make any changes). They appear to be legitimate and I keep my fingers crossed that they won't get compromised.

6. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

Sorry, but i really can figure out why anyone would put their banking info on their phone no matter how convenient it is, or how much they think they can trust the dev.

It's your _banking info_!!! what if you lose the phone?

7. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing. Why do you need an app, when you can go to the web site just as easy.

I don't understand the need for apps that go to websites at all. Are people to lazy to just add a site to their favorites ???

8. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

+1

9. cranky_dan

cranky_dan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Huh. Five hours later, and it seems all any reporting outlet has to say about the apps in question is that they're banking apps.

Has anyone else seen a list of the bad apps?

10. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

I did a quick market search. There are no banking apps by Droid09 that I could find. Maybe they got pulled.

Somewhere in the link the OP put up, someone says this got reported/noticed on Dec 3rd. Over a month ago, so maybe its all betaken care of.

11. dusthead

dusthead Well-Known Member

yea - everyone knows that there's always "that guy" or "that girl" you know that will just download whatever...doesn't care the dev's name...doesn't look at comments or ratings...just not interested in protecting themselves on a high-tech device like a smartphone. hopefully it is taken care of now - but it won't be the last time. it will definitely help if someone spots a bogus app - to post it here...there's plenty of people on this forum that are more tightly knit in the market than we are - if they read it - they can respond...hopefully.

12. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

Yeah, the IT-Security guy where I work asked me if I had heard about malware on the Android OS and what security precautions I take to avoid it since there is no antimalware apps. This was the first time I was informing him of things instead of the other way around.

13. droid89

droid89 Member

IMHO the trend of malicious apps will continue into the future. Hoping Google will step up to the plate and actively police its apps.

Maybe actively approving apps/certifying apps. I hear there is a verification/approval stamp already out there, don't know if its true.

Although it is a hotly debated topic, if there is money to be stolen, viruses tailored to Android seem like an inescapable spectre closely looming as well.

But there also seems to be some pretty good virus protection software getting developed out there. A search on virus protection is what first brought me to this forum, and there was a lot of great suggestions and I got my issue cleared up. It turned out not to be a virus but a bad virus protection app, of all things.

Irony.

Much thanks to this forum for the Mobile Defense security app suggestion.