• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Manage Desktop On Android Tablet

D

Deleted User

I have a cheap tablet running Android 4.0.4 which has no documentation.
I am trying to understand how to manage the "desktop" (sorry if that's the wrong name for it).
When I switch on, I get a main screen with a number of apps on it. In the top right hand corner of the screen are six little squares and when I touch it, I get a further list of apps. I need to understand how to move apps between the main screen and the additional apps screen(s) and back.
Also, I seem to have two extra "main" screens i.e. if I swipe the main screen, I get a blank screen and if I swipe again, I get a screen with 3 apps on it.
Tommy

Thanks,
Why have I got three homescreens then?

I have 7. You can have (nearly) as many as you want, depending on how you use your device. I keep several widgets, shortcuts, apps, pictures on mine. Android is all about personalization, and they give you the freedom to do what you wish. Maybe you want a screen for all games. One for social media widgets...do it. No restrictions.

Upvote 0
It depends on what "launcher" you have (the "launcher" being the app that manages the desktops). Different ones have different ways of managing these things.

If you can find a "desktop settings" menu anywhere that will probably have your answer. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the stock Android 4 launcher (which I guess is what you probably have), but hopefully someone will have a suggestion for how to do it on that.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones