Mandalyn


Last Updated:

  1. mandalyn

    mandalyn New Member This Topic's Starter

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello - New to this forum! Joined because I made a cell phone boo boo and wanted to see if anyone could offer any suggestions. So, here goes:

    I got a new Droid Eris and 1 week later it accidentally ended up in a 16 oz. glass of beer. Now, before you start in, here is what I already know:
    I don't have insurance and the indicators did turn red, so returning it is not an option (I don't need a lecture on how important insurance is, blah, blah, blah... the phone was free, I have another phone I can reactivate and have never, ever lost or broken a phone in the past - live and learn).
    I already studied up and read all about how to dry out a wet phone. I did all of that - took the battery out, put it all in rice for a several days, etc.
    Here's the deal:
    After doing all of those things, the phone booted up and worked perfectly, for about 8 hours. Then, the battery died and wouldn't recharge. I called a Verizon dealer and they said the battery sounded shot and since the phone was functioning perfectly, a new battery should solve my troubles. So, I bought a new battery. Put it in and wa la! Again, it worked perfectly! I plugged it into my charger and it started charging, etc. My photos were there, my contacts were there, my messages were there - everything. It worked great; for about 2 hours. Then, the new battery started dying and so I plugged it back in and it would take the power from the ac adapter and the phone would work, but the battery would not charge. Everytime I unplugged it, it would go dead. So, I took the battery out and and now here I sit.

    I am wondering, if maybe, being it was beer that it dropped into, there is some build-up in there and wondering if there is anything I can do to clean it out good. At this point, the phone doesn't work anyway, so I guess I'm willing to try. When it did run, it functioned perfectly, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on this.

    Thanks.
     

    Advertisement
  2. bbrosen

    bbrosen Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2009
    Messages:
    314
    Likes Received:
    31
    Sounds like residual water still shorting or grounding something out and killing the battery, or possibly even corrosion doing the same as the liquid.
     
  3. takeshi

    takeshi Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2009
    Messages:
    3,354
    Likes Received:
    281
    I don't see where you took steps to rinse out the beer. You really should have done so with a suitable liquid before drying it out.
     
  4. Dand

    Dand Member

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2009
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    It might be that the charging port on your phone has shorted out did you plug it into your computer to see if it would recognize. If it doesn't that is most likely the issue and if thats the case I would look around for an external battery charger and just charge it that way from now on.
     

Share This Page

Loading...