manual backup?Support

Last Updated: 2010-12-23 23:21:55
  1. KhaaL

KhaaL Member

hey all

Im' looking to backup certain parts of my phone in case of a firmware upgrade goes haywire. Also, those are the things i want to keep... I'm looking for a way to save my text messages, my spelling dictionary and the browsers stored passwords aswell as the bookmarks. I know there are apps that does this, but I'm intrested in the "manual" way. anyone who can fill me in which directories to backup?

Advertisement
  2. intouch

intouch Member

I think that theese are the files:
    data/data/com.android.browser/databases/webview.db
    data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db

If you want to restore almost all system configurations, you should restore these files:
    data/misc/*
    data/data/com.android.alarmclock/databases/alarms.db
    data/data/com.android.browser/databases/browser.db
    data/data/com.android.browser/databases/webview.db
    data/data/com.android.browser/databases/webviewCache.db
    data/data/com.android.browser/shared_prefs/com.android.browser_preferences.xml
    data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db
    data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db
    data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/shared_prefs/preferred-apn.xml
    data/data/com.android.providers.im/databases/im.db
    data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
    data/data/com.android.settings/shared_prefs/com.android.settings_preferences.xml
    data/data/com.android.vending/shared_prefs/vending_preferences.xml
    data/data/com.android.vending/databases/assets.db
    data/data/com.android.vending/databases/webview.db
    data/data/com.android.vending/databases/webviewCache.db
    data/data/com.google.android.providers.settings/databases/googlesettings.db
    data/data/com.android.launcher/databases/launcher.db
  3. PittCaleb

PittCaleb Well-Known Member

I may be having to do a factory reset or (better perhaps) get a new Droid. The files listed above - are they on the device or the SD card? Is there a way to back up the data on the device itself such that when you do a factory reset you can merely re-load rather than re-building your apps & settings?

PittCaleb
  4. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Your removable sd-card is mapped to the "/sdcard/sd" folder, so everything outside of it (including those files) would be on the (internal) flash storage.

Have you considered the "nandroid" backup from a custom rescue boot partition? It's what I'm using, and it's not really as scary as you'd think. It will let you do a complete restore from a reset phone, but I don't think it lets you migrate files across firmware updates (that is, I think the firmware is part of the backup, so to speak). I hope to be corrected if I'm wrong on this part.
  5. informale

informale Well-Known Member

Actually, the removable SD is mapped to /sdcard/sd/ , when inserted.
    Internal SD is /sdcard/ .
  6. GalaxyMeh

GalaxyMeh Well-Known Member

See How to backup Android SMSes, MMSes, Contacts, Call Logs, User dictionary etc. manually in the Android users' wiki.