• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Manual IP settings - Per wifi access point ?

rohanh

Lurker
Nov 22, 2010
I have a question regarding WiFi setup on my Android. Many apologies if this is a simple question - but I did try searching before this post.

When I'm at home, I want to use manual IP settings for my WiFi (instead of relying on DHCP). However, when I'm out using other WiFi (a coffee shop, or at school) I obviously need DHCP.

How do I set manual IP settings on a per-wifi-hotspot basis?

(Galaxy S Vibrant)

I really do not think that is possible since you are actually modifying the way the wifi chip works. Dynamic IP address uses DHCP and it is assigned automatically so the only other option is to assign it yourself but than it's stagnant nature is precisely the problem since you cannot assign your own for networks you cannot access.

I would believe there might be a computer based software which can actually do that for a laptop but I doubt that there would be something like that for Adroid. I just looked through Windows7 options for wifi cards it enables either static and disables dynamic. So with the default options you have to reconfigure them every time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones