Manual or Instructions for K-9 Mail?

1. cotajen

cotajen New Member

I recently began using K-9 Mail. It seems to have good potential, but I can't find any sort of set up manual. One of my questions is what is polling and how does it differ from push email. I come from a BB and understand Push, but polling and setting it up is confusing me. Thanks for the help.
    Jen

Advertisement
  2. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

Polling is the opposite of push email. Push email means that the server pushes the message to your phone. The phone doesn't have to actively do anything, because the server initiates the connection and tells it that there's a message.

Polling is the phone reaching out to the server to see if there is a new message. Because this requires your phone to actively do something even if there's no new messages, it can be a little tougher on your battery. I have K9 set to poll my hotmail every hour, I think. Maybe 30 minutes.
    cotajen likes this.
  3. cotajen

cotajen New Member

Thanks for the info, that makes sense. Now I'm trying to figure out if I can set up push for both my gmail and yahoo accounts. I think I've read something about yahoo now working with push, but I don't know why that would be. It sounds like it would be best if all email was pushed to me, like with BB. Is that possible?
  4. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

As far as I know, only Gmail will push. You probably need some special desktop or server software to push.
  5. bhds

bhds New Member

So.......There isnt a instruction manual?
  6. DancesWithBikers

DancesWithBikers New Member

7. dforce

dforce New Member

check this out....
    if i send a test email to my acct and let it wait outlook will get it and k9 will never get it even if i tell to check mail. however... if i send a test and imediately check mail with k9 it gets it. then will show up normally in outlook. i used the stock email app that came with my droid for a few weeks prior with no problems.
    any ideas?
  8. Forts

Forts Well-Known Member

Are you using POP3 or IMAP? Sounds to me like Outlook is downloading your message from the server and leaving nothing behind for K9 to find, whereas K9 downloads the message but still leaves a copy on the mail server.
    dforce likes this.
  9. dforce

dforce New Member

i was thinking along those lines but why then is the email that comes with the phone getting them?
  10. dforce

dforce New Member

so after reading leaving you a reply last night i followed up on my hunch and your thought as well. i found in the advanced menu for email setup how to leaves a email on the server for any given time in outlook. this seems to have fixed the problem. thanks for the nudge i needed.
  11. yegnal

yegnal New Member

What's the difference in k9 between polling and syncing ?
  12. blackdog709

blackdog709 Well-Known Member

OK- Back to the Top with this one. I'm on a Samsung Galaxy Player (wifi/no phone) on gingerbread 3.5.0.

Just installed K9 a week ago. I'm also suffering from the (Still!) complete lack of product documentation (I would not call that cheesy wiki page "documentation")...and no Help on the device app?!

I still cannot get my IMAP account (from my ISP provider) to send. I'm checking with them on that.

How does the Notification LED light work? I have set the color for LED light, but I never see it show up anywhere?

Can anyone explain the various types of Authentication and the various types of Security (SSL, TLS) and when would you select Always and when would you select Never?

thanks guys.
  13. tcat007

tcat007 Well-Known Member

I set up IMAP from my ISP to my Gmail account. I have it filtered there to a folder "Work-In box", and have that folder polled with K9. That way all my work/ISP mail gets pulled from Gmail (stored on Google servers, deleted from ISP), and is always available. Makes the polling and syncing with K9 a bit simpler. Also much more centralized for work/home PC's.

14. blackdog709

blackdog709 Well-Known Member

I found a google discussion group...but it's awkward. It's not a forum where you can just hit "Reply", etc. And I didn't find any real solutions.

Anyway, i spent several hours now searching all over that group and the web in general for answers. From what I can see, there may be a few lucky users that have no problems, but there are certainly many, many users with a great deal of problems. Some can send ONLY on data connection but not on wifi. Some can send ONLY on a data connection but not on wifi. There are HUGE issues with connecting an Exchange account. And no manual from the developers. Wouldn't you think that an organization that spend countless thousands of hours over many years developing this sophisticated program would publish a manual or add Help to the app? I think this is the only serious software I have ever seen that has almost zero documentation. Even for freeware there is usually, and sometimes very good, documentation. I think if my ISP can not give me some answers...special ports to use or other specific data...I'm going to dump the whole K9 thing.

This is a very big part of why people want apple products. You will get stuck with Steve Jobs idea of the best way of having X or Y or Z, and that's all you get, but they work. You don't have some little slacker, or grad student, or school principal or a working mom searching the web for hours and hours researching POP, IMAP, SMPT, SSL, TLS security, authentication types and so forth. You pay through the nose, you hook up the darn things and they work. As much as I avoid apple, there's certainly something to be said for that.

Anyway...any advice would be truly appreciated.
  15. tcat007

tcat007 Well-Known Member

I find the online manual lacking, but at least there is one... a page on setting up mail here, has much more info than most any app I've downloaded from the market. Seems half the "official pages" go to totally unrelated sites or are in a language you don't recognize. True you must be somewhat a "techie" to get K9 working... there's always defualt mail or Gmail apps... is there a manual for those? Setting up POP or IMAP is just as much a pain on PC as it is on android... and from what I remember it use to be MUCH more difficult on a Mac. Trial and error is my way.
  16. jrh0828

jrh0828 New Member

What you're saying makes sense, but it is just the opposite of a post on the Google Group K-9 forum. Any reason why that might be?