Manual root help.

Last Updated:

1. jdbell2004

jdbell2004 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm trying to root my new evo with the 2.02 hboot. I understand the process but i don't know how to access directories via command prompt on my computer.

Advertisement
  2. TBon350

TBon350 Well-Known Member

you have to use adb (comes with the android SDK, so install that) from your computer while your phone is hooked up via usb. I can't remember if you have to turn on USB Debugging or not. (I always have it on as I attempt to write programs for Android) Once this is done, type adb shell, then su, then do all the commands to root. (assuming you've already backed everything up ;))

3. wrapkgb

wrapkgb Well-Known Member

USB debugging has to be enabled in order to use adb. You can find it in settings>applications>development and it will be the first option.

4. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

Could you not download terminal emulator and then do everything on your phone??? Just curious???

5. jdbell2004

Prerequsites:
    Unrar to a folder of your choice. I recommend the root of C:\ into a folder of your choice or on the desktop. Make sure you have the drivers installed for your phone and USB debugging is on
    If possible master reset your phone. At the least reboot the damn thing.

1) Make sure usb debugging is on, and plug in your phone, DO NOT MOUNT USB
    2) Open a command prompt and change to where ever you unzipped the files to.
    3) Type the following (this must be excuted from the folder you unzipped to)

I dont understand how to "unrar" or how to perform step #2. Any pointers?

6. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

I say wait for unrevoked ...they are another step closer to making the whole process much easier.

7. jdbell2004

is there a time frame for this to be released?

8. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

"unrar" basically means to decompress a .rar file (the file format of the zipped file you downloaded). You need something like winrar (if you're on windows) to do so. What they're suggesting is that you unzip these files to a directory in C:\, such as C:\rootfiles, or whatever you want. Step 2 mean that you need to open a command prompt by doing start -> run, then type cmd, and hit enter. From the console, type cd C:\rootfiles. From there, you need adb; did you/do you know how to set that up? If you're having trouble, I would agree with Mr. Ed that you should wait for unrevoked. To answer your other question, though, unfortunately, we do not know when it will be updated.