• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Manually boot into CWM Recovery?

DeadChex

Sep 11, 2011
On my Droid3, how would I manually boot into ClockWork recovery? If something goes wrong for instance.

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Between Hashcode and Koush, they have updated the Koush CWM to work within Rom Manager and it will ALSO boot from a cold power up from BP tools (power+M).

I think Hashcode also fixed the issue with escaping a bootloop and going into CWM when possible.

See Hash's comments, and the updated APK! This is GREAT News folks!!!

Hash of Codes: Stock CM Bootstrap for Droid 3
or Hash of Codes: Android Downloads

Note: Remove or freeze the previous apk, or you will see them both in your app drawer.

I've tried...

Holding X during powerup, that gives me standard recovery

Holding M during powerup, and selecting BP tools, device boots normaly

Holding M during powerup, and selecting recovery, gives me standard recovery

Holding vol up during recovery, (i belive) that gave me nothing

Holding vol down during recovery, gave me ap flash fastboot (i think its called, sorry if thats wrong)

Holding home during power up, normal boot

Pulling battery during the boot animation, normal reboot

Pulling battery, then pluging into charge, boot into charge screen

Holding the search button on the keyboard during boot, normal boot

I would greatly appriciate if someone could tell or find out how to boot into CWM recovery from the power off state. Thanks in Advanced!!

PS ROM manager and my Recovery bootstrapper can both boot into CWM recovery from the device so i know its there

And, most of these methods are methods I've gathered from googling this issue and from what I've read here and there

Obviously you are using Koush's CWM recovery, since you are able to get to it from ROM Manager. Unfortunately, there is no way to get into CWM from a powered down state. You need to enter it from either Rom Manager or Koush's bootstrap app. Yes, that means you need a fully functional, bootable phone in order to get into CWM.

The original CWM recovery, by HashCode, lets you enter it from the powered-down state (boot menu). Not so with your CWM by Koush. Yes, it's a viscious circle... if you don't have a bootable phone, then you can't boot up to get into CWM, in order to restore a bootable backup.

I hear changes are in the works to make power-up entry into Koush's CWM possible. You can't do it yet. Stay tuned. Neall

Reactions: DeadChex
Upvote 0
Obviously you are using Koush's CWM recovery, since you are able to get to it from ROM Manager. Unfortunately, there is no way to get into CWM from a powered down state. You need to enter it from either Rom Manager or Koush's bootstrap app. Yes, that means you need a fully functional, bootable phone in order to get into CWM.

The original CWM recovery, by HashCode, lets you enter it from the powered-down state (boot menu). Not so with your CWM by Koush. Yes, it's a viscious circle... if you don't have a bootable phone, then you can't boot up to get into CWM, in order to restore a bootable backup.

I hear changes are in the works to make power-up entry into Koush's CWM possible. You can't do it yet. Stay tuned. Neall

Thank you! I used to have hashcodes recovery, but I think its recovery is out of date. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
I'm not sure Hashcodes CWM is out of date, as much as he and Koush have basically agreed to follow Koush's development path for the future CWMs. As you've noticed, Hash's was nice in that you could enter it from a powered-down state. Since I won't be installing custom ROMs, but instead just using CWM as a failsafe backup, I probably should have stayed on Hash's CWM until they modify Koush's for power-up execution. Neall

Upvote 0
IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Between Hashcode and Koush, they have updated the Koush CWM to work within Rom Manager and it will ALSO boot from a cold power up from BP tools (power+M).

I think Hashcode also fixed the issue with escaping a bootloop and going into CWM when possible.

See Hash's comments, and the updated APK! This is GREAT News folks!!!

Hash of Codes: Stock CM Bootstrap for Droid 3
or http://hash-of-codes.blogspot.com/p/android-downloads.html

Note: Remove or freeze the previous apk, or you will see them both in your app drawer.

Upvote 0
Bryan,

You can also try using this guide... Download the files specified here, and try the first 9 steps of this procedure. It was meant to update your phone from the SBF for installation of the new Steel Droid ROM, but you don't have to pay attention to that. Just look at the instructions up through step 9, and this should help you to restore your phone.

Hope this helps. Neall

[ROM] [RELEASE] Steel Droid 3: 1.0 Gingerbread - 9-26-2011

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones