Manually manage music?

Last Updated:

1. digity

digity Member This Topic's Starter

I've been using doubleTwist to sync & manage my music on my HTC EVO 4G (and Palm Pre) and I've had just about enough of its sloooow iTunes syncing, sloooow device syncing and overall clunkiness (yes, I'm a previous user of the iPod/iTunes and Zune/Zune Software systems). Though I love the doubleTwist player for Android I'm done with doubleTwist. And no I'm not interested in Salling Media Sync (especially since its not free).

If I manage things myself by manually syncing/copying music to my Android (i.e., artist/album/ folder structure under /sdcard/music/)...:

[1] where do I place the playlists (in .m3u format)?: /sdcard/music/playlists OR /sdcard/music/playlist1.m3u, playlist2.m3u, etc.

[2] what Android players are compatible with this format/structure (i.e., that'll pick up the playlists just fine)?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Suggest you have a look at cubed player

3. digity

digity Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks! Cubed Player does indeed play m3u playlists manually copied over. And apparently so does Mixzing and the built-in music player with HTC Sense. Cubed Player is cool but the UI is clunky, especially around the playlist (which is my only concern). The HTC Sense player is boring but is solid and has play controls on the lock screen. Mixzing is ugly as sin, but overall the best player - the auto playlist generating feature is pure genius and actually does a great job picking similar music. doubletwist has the best UI hands down, but requiring the desktop software to sync (the playlists I manually added won't show up, but the songs do) and the lack of lock screen playback controls kills it for me. I'm going with Mixzing for now.

Thanks again!