1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Manually Start Tasker Profiles

Last Updated:

1. sonesh

sonesh Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way to Manually start a task with Tasker?

Scenario being, I have a 2 Profiles setup. One launches the "discreet" task (when I'm at work) and the other launches "Silent" task (that runs at night).

But there are occasions when I went to manually start the Tasks (Silent when I'm at the Cinema, for example).

I've tried creating the Widgets, but they don't do anything when pressed. I'm happy to go into the app to select the task, but cant find any options to do so.

Advertisement
  2. amlothi

amlothi Well-Known Member

You could do something like this:

Profile 1:
    Context: State > Variable > %SILENTMODE equals to 1
    Tasks: Silent Mode on (or whatever tasks you have for your Silent profile now)

Profile 2:
    Context: Time (whatever your "night" context is now)
    Task: Set Variable %SILENTMODE to 1
    Exit Task: Set Variable %SILENTMODE to 0

These two profiles alone should accomplish the same thing that you have now. The only difference is you have added a "middle man" - the variable. The second profile sets the variable at night. When the variable is set, the first profile activates.

Then, create a widget that works like a toggle:

Tasks:
    1) Alert > Flash > Silent Mode Toggled
    2) Add Variable %SILENTMODE (When you add this task, set it to increase the variable by 1, with a wrap around of 2. )

Each time you press the widget, it will increase the value of %SILENTMODE by 1. However, when it hits 2, it wraps back to zero. (So 2 equals 0.)

Basically, press it to toggle between 1 and 0. This way you can manually turn the profile on/off. The Alert task is only there so that you know the widget is working. You can remove it if it's annoying for you.

I've done similar things. Let me know if that works for you.

sonesh likes this.
  3. sonesh

sonesh Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That is genius. I was reading through thinking that's all well and all, but I can't change the variable, but creating a widget that changes the Variable. That's pure brilliance

4. flyhy224

flyhy224 New Member

Hello All,
    I currently have Tasker profiles based on locations that sets my phone to vibrate based on where I am.
    However, I wanted to be able to quickly put my phone on vibrate when I need to..
    So I wanted to setup a profile that can toggle silent mode when I shake my phone.
    Anyone knows or can help me with this profile? It's not as easy as I thought it would be.

5. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

I have moved this thread into the Tasker forum since it is a question directly regarding the Application Tasker.

6. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator Moderator

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tasker/LW_UlSA22Js

That said, using the accelerometer (to detect the shake gesture) may have a detrimental impact on your battery life.