Manually syncing facebook contacts w/phone contacts

Last Updated:

1. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ive read the constant threads where people say, just find the friend on facebook, hold press their icon and it will do whatever.

doesnt work at all, the only thing happens is if i quick press i get the chooser to email them, or view their facebook profile.

what im trying to do is manually sync a contact on my phone with a facebook contact.

on my friends droid eris he can open up a phone contact, hit edit and actually has a field for him to type my facebook name in and it will sync.

there anyway to do this? im tired of only having like 10 peoples profiles actually syncing with my phone contacts and another 100 not synced..

Advertisement
  2. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

try.... click their name, hit edit, hit menu hit join with..... should work? if not delete the contact, and re add them and it should auto sync!

3. DanSan

hitting join with only merges it with another phone contact.

like i want to find my gf's contact on my phone, and edit it so it syncs with her facebook profile. the problem is she doesnt have her number on her facebook profile and her name isnt the same on facebook so it wont sync.

its driving me nuts

4. radikal

yeah delete her and then re add her with the name is shows on facebook, i had this prob with my aunt, it sucked, deleted her, and it added her eventually, they other thing i did was exit out of the facebook app and resigned in and it worked then for some contacts too!

5. DanSan

yea but that means when i add people i need to make their name on my phone the same as their facebook profile.. i got some friends who put dumb names on their facebook and i hate having peoples first and last names on my phone contacts.. ugh

6. mtrish88

mtrish88 Member

What i have found that i have to do is put in the persons FIRST AND LAST NAME and go to facebook and go through the contacts on facebook and go back to contacts and then there facebook profile will be there. That has worked for me. To do it manually i havent found a way you can do so

EDIT: didnt see the person who already put that

7. radikal

you can change the contact name to whatever you want after its synced, just needs it the one time to sync :)

8. DanSan

actually no u cant.. ive tried. people who did sync with facebook get changed to their first AND last name..

example, my friend tom was in my phone as "Tom D." after facebook synced its now Tom Dixxxxxxxx. if i try and edit it, it says "Tom D." still in his name field

9. radikal

hmm, i could have sworn i changed it to something!

10. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

Try putting the facebook name in the phone under nicknames. After the sync and what ever in the contact spot. The contact spot is what shows up on a call but once sync ed it will stay sync ed reguardless of contact name.

11. Markymarkmark1234

Markymarkmark1234 Member

i'm trying to figure this out as well, if i go to the facebook app on the homescreen and select to log out, it says it will delete all facebook contact information from my phone, i've got most of my contacts that have facebooks updated with their facebook information, its the last three that i havent yet, one of which is important(my husband.) the contacts i got updated, i just went to their facebook on my computer and it updated it on my phone, whether or not those two things have anything to do wtih each other i do not know, as it didnt work for all the contacts.

12. Markymarkmark1234

Markymarkmark1234 Member

in messing around trying to get this to work, if you go to the facebook app and call up your friends. the name in your contacts apparently needs to match the name they have as their name on your friend list on facebook. click the picture of the friend you want to import to your contacts, and a menu comes up with the phone icon, contacts icon, message icon and facebook icon, click the contacts icon and it will import the facebook information

13. Wiggz

Wiggz Member

So no matter what in 2.0.1 the name has to match exactly as their facebook?

14. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Thanks this worked, I just wish it would display the google contact name instead of the facebook contact name, or at least give us the choice.