Manually updating Firmware without Cell ServiceSupport

Last Updated:

1. EvilxMunkee

EvilxMunkee New Member

Good Morning Everyone,
    I must admit I am a noob here and need help understanding some core concepts with the Android updates. I know we are getting Ice Cream sandwhich soon and this is why I must know what I need to do.
    Here is the situation... I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Verizion, however I no longer use that phone on my account (currently using an iPhone 5) and I would love to update it to the newest firmware when it becomes available.... However I do not know how I do this....
    Keep in mind I do not have any service so when I go to the About Phone -> Check for firmware, it results in saying no service, and is unable to do it (have tried on wifi as well).
    I also have tried to download Samsung Kies (application on windows) and this told me that my model did not support updating through Kies.....
    The only thing I have found online is that I must root my phone, load a boot loader, then load a custom rom, and this iwll result in an update....I however do not wish to do this UNLESS its the last resort... and even then I may not do this....
    So does anyone know what I need to do to update my phone to the newest firmware when it becomes available? I would hate to think just because I do not have it on a line anymore that I am unable to update it and enjoy the newest apps and such.
    And to those curious, yes I still use my android a lot for other things besides cell service....
    Thank you in advance for your help!

2. alpha0990

alpha0990 Well-Known Member

You can use a computer app called Odin, and sooner or later the new stuff should be available here
    SamMobile Firmware Page
  3. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

Welcome to AF, EvilxMunkee!:)
    We are glad you have joined us here.

I am moving this thread into the forum for the exact phone that you have, as this forum is for the Australian version of the S3.
  4. cp1

cp1 Well-Known Member

As the above poster said, you can use Odin to flash new software.