• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Manually Updating PRL?

What is with people wanting to update the PRL? You realize it stands for "Preferred Roaming List" and does virtually nothing for your phone. It updates the list of roaming towers in your area, something that has probably been the same for years. Sprint doesnt even use this feature anymore during tech support.

Also, updating the PRL has the strong possibility of wiping out your network profile causing you to lose the ability to receive MMS messages.

Upvote 0
What is with people wanting to update the PRL? You realize it stands for "Preferred Roaming List" and does virtually nothing for your phone. It updates the list of roaming towers in your area, something that has probably been the same for years. Sprint doesnt even use this feature anymore during tech support.

Also, updating the PRL has the strong possibility of wiping out your network profile causing you to lose the ability to receive MMS messages.

Virtually nothing? Theres alot of tower work going on everday. For someone who travels, having the most up to date PRL ensures you will have the best chance of keeping signal. Go ahead and keep an old PRL, but dont piss and moan because I choose to update mine. Thanks.

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0
Virtually nothing? Theres alot of tower work going on everday. For someone who travels, having the most up to date PRL ensures you will have the best chance of keeping signal. Go ahead and keep an old PRL, but dont piss and moan because I choose to update mine. Thanks.

It also ensure your network profile will get jacked up, but hey to each his own I spose. Just to help you out a bit, if you insist on doing this make sure you go into your dialer and type ##3282#, click restore, enter your msl, then hit yes. Once the phone reboots it'll reactivate you on the network. You gotta do this everytime you update the PRL. If I were you though Id talk to sprint about updating it and I think youd be surprised to find out this method isnt necessary to maintain a signal in a roaming situation no matter how much tower work has gone on.

Upvote 0
It also ensure your network profile will get jacked up, but hey to each his own I spose. Just to help you out a bit, if you insist on doing this make sure you go into your dialer and type ##3282#, click restore, enter your msl, then hit yes. Once the phone reboots it'll reactivate you on the network. You gotta do this everytime you update the PRL. If I were you though Id talk to sprint about updating it and I think youd be surprised to find out this method isnt necessary to maintain a signal in a roaming situation no matter how much tower work has gone on.

I've updated my PRL a few times on this phone and never had to do what you mention above nor have I had any problems. Nor have friends that have the phone.

Upvote 0
I've updated my PRL a few times on this phone and never had to do what you mention above nor have I had any problems. Nor have friends that have the phone.

Myself and some people on sdx have had this problem. As I said, its likely to drop your profile. Also talked to a tech at sprint who confirmed the issue when updating your PRL.

It will only affect incoming pic/video mail. You can still send pic/video mail but it "can" stop it from coming in.

Reactions: duratime
Upvote 0
Myself and some people on sdx have had this problem. As I said, its likely to drop your profile. Also talked to a tech at sprint who confirmed the issue when updating your PRL.

It will only affect incoming pic/video mail. You can still send pic/video mail but it "can" stop it from coming in.

I never did the PRL update, but I have been having trouble getting picture text messages. I'm going to try what you posted. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Have you tried Menu > Settings > About phone > System Updates > Update PRL, Update Profile?

I haven't been able to do this for over 2 weeks now. When I try to update firmware, profile, or PRL, it sits there for 4-5 minutes, then comes back with an error that says "No Service Error". After these attempts, my phone will no longer time out/go to sleep until I power-fail the phone. I got off the phone with a Sprint CSR a few minutes ago who stated that this is normal because my phone is current and up to date. I know that this is not true, because up until 2 weeks ago, I would get a totally different message when looking for updates. Any ideas?
TIA.

Upvote 0
I haven't been able to do this for over 2 weeks now. When I try to update firmware, profile, or PRL, it sits there for 4-5 minutes, then comes back with an error that says "No Service Error". After these attempts, my phone will no longer time out/go to sleep until I power-fail the phone. I got off the phone with a Sprint CSR a few minutes ago who stated that this is normal because my phone is current and up to date. I know that this is not true, because up until 2 weeks ago, I would get a totally different message when looking for updates. Any ideas?
TIA.

You getting a different message two weeks ago when trying to update your PRL and updating yoru PRL now have nothing to do with each other. In the world of technology troubleshooting, just because one thing changed doesn't mean it's related to your problem that is currently happening. It's a logical fallacy.

I've updated my PRL a few times since getting thise phone (now on 60664, the latest btw) and I've never had problems receiving MMS messages. Also, Sprint can and will push a PRL update to your phone if you don't do it yourself. That happened when they pushed out 60663.

Wingzfan is implying that by updating your profile that you will ensure your profile will get messed up when that simply isn't true. It might happen but there is nothing that ensures its possibility. Many people update their PRLs regularly, if available, and have zero problems. Messing with key codes is more liable to jack up your profile more than updating your profile through the system settings.

Every time my PRL updates or I update it myself, I always update my profile. Guess that might be why I don't have any problems?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones